Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Reminiscing

For reasons I don't quite fathom, it seems that this weekend always brings to mind, memories of my early years. 

The other day, I was looking for a traditional pattern that I might use and begin a new quilt.  My source for traditional patterns are quilt pamphlets that i have saved for quite a few years.  When I had young children and my Mother and I shared the joy of first child/first grandchild we both like to make things for that baby.  It was also around that time that I began to learn about and regularly work on making a quilt or two a year.  My Mother would find in shops or 2nd hand stores old (even then they were old) quilting pamphlets.

Some of these were reprinted from the 1930's and 40's or even as late as the 50's, some of them are the original issue.  Many of these were even reprinted in the mid to late 1980's so you may have seen some of them -- I do have alot of them along with the first year or two of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine.   I don't really keep magazines now, but somehow I have become attached to this old stash of pamphlets and magazines.  They are so familiar they are dear friends of mine.

This pattern, Clay's Choice is one that I keep coming back to.  I am not likely to make it using the template method of cutting the pieces, but I think I will create a scrappy set of these blocks -- I have a dresser that I actually use in my dining room and it is in need or a bright runner across the top, so perhaps this is my next project == a short summer project, possibly with the aim of hand quilting it while sitting in my swing in the backyard and remembering the days when I would sit with my Mom on her backyard swing with baby Neil sleeping between us or while he unsteadily sat on a small quilt on the grass doing what babies do.