Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Glad to be HOME

Well, Las Vegas really is something...

But

While it was interesting, it is not a place for me...

Most of the time, it was like being a fish out of water.  I like quiet days and peaceful nights -- The ROAR never stops on "The Strip".

I get up out of my bed at home early every morning, even when I have nothing particular that has to be done, I very much love to hear the birds in the morning -- There are no birds twittering and tweeting at 4am on the Vegas Strip, but there are sultry women leaning on a gangsta's arm at a gaming table, or standing at a bar and swaying slightly and you wonder if a slight breeze may topple her over.  

Now don't get me wrong, there is alot of WONDER in the sights along the Vegas strip -- in particular I learned the reason for the high prices on designer goods -- my favourite part of the whole experience was walking in the shopping mall at Caesar's Palace. 
Purses, and shoes and jewellery, dresses and the art of it all!  MUHMMMMM... Beauty is there to behold, lovely to look at and lovely to hold.   With enough $$$$ in my pocket I could easily succomb to making these extravagant purchases, which to many others are not extravagant but just part of the necessities of life...


When you take the time to really look you can understand why a little bag like this Fendi, costs so much.  The design is just a touch neater, nicely proportioned and excudes SPECIAL... Then you look at the pattern, and the workmanship the stitching, that had to be done by hand, not by a machine and you come to understand why this deserves its price tag...

Tiffany and Co.  window...
the display design is even special!  Just set yourself along a forest trail and think of the peace and beauty that you experience on that quiet green trail.  Look for the Jewels in amongst the ferns in the rainforest.  Watch closely for the butterfly flitting just above the slugs sliming their way beneath the dead leaf litter on the forest floor.  Then.  Look up --- see the sparkle in a piece of rough bark on a tree rising to the sun shiny canopy?  Oh, hey, look there, a sparkly pearl dangling from a cedar branch...  Do you see that in this window display?  I did.  I had a real hard time pulling myself away.  The thought crossed my mind while looking at this.  Who wouldn't want to capture those diamonds and pearls, just out of reach?


Everything is BIG.
When you get outside and walk along the sidewalk between hotels, you experience the day life -- not quite so well disquised as the nighttime frenzied hopelessness that peeks out between the cracks.  The daytime streetlife, while filled with tourists shopping at places like the M&M store or at the Coke Store, also has the desperate street hawkers, trying to make a buck by selling something that you definately don't need.  I almost fell for a collection of stick on "gems" to decorate my finger nails -- ONLY $30!  And I long ago stopped putting coloured enamel on my finger nails...  Damn those sales people do have a knack...  Lucky me, though, not quite good enough -- or was it my Son, saying Come ON, Mom, we're waiting!  Lets Go!  Thanks to my Son, I am saved that 30 dollars...

There is so much to say about Las Vegas, and I am sure that those who live their barely notice the Trap of the Strip, they go about their daily lives just the the majority of people anywhere else, go get groceries once a week, take the kids to school or to the park, figure out if they can buy shoes now or wait til next month...  At least I hope thats the way it is!

That Touristy Part of Vegas is not for me.  I am so happy to be Home...