Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Cooking in Hot Weather

When the temperature goes up around 30C cooking for a couple of fellas who are resistant to green things on their plate, becomes even more difficult and requires some creative or unexpected ideas...

The choice here if my husband were to be in charge of the meal would be to turn on the oven -- to like 450F to cook a "quick" lunch of  Frozen French Fries and a Pre made Frozen burger...  forget the green!

So, some of the things I have come up with over the years to avoid turning on the oven is first off to pay attention to RAINY DAYS...  For meat lover men, Meat is a requirement, so if there is not some cooked meat ready or close to ready, they don't hesitate to turn on the the oven and create excessive kitchen heat...  So I try to cook ahead and freeze things like pork sausage, "minute" steaks, pork chops, even chicken breast.

So, how to make "meat and potato" type meals without turning on the oven and increasing the heat in the house?
 

 My saving grace for this turns out to be my very old 1970's waffle iron! (but if you want to test out a couple of these ideas I am sure a more recent waffle maker would do just as well) I make those OVEN fries right on the waffle maker  -- I turn on the waffle maker to its highest heat, then I just layer the fries on the iron, close the lid and give it about 3 or 4 minutes (check your fries progress on your waffle maker because there can be considerable temperature variation).

The fries come out a bit flat but crispier than when done in the oven and to me, tastier because they have a crispier finish!  Much quicker than when done in the oven and causing much less heat in the kitchen!  How about thin slices of potato done in the waffle maker?  Peel, or not your favourite type of potato, layer the slices on the waffle maker, close the lid -- a couple of minutes makes interesting CHIPS...

Oh, I should mention, some waffle makers are non stick and some like mine because of its age are 'tempered' cast iron so perhaps a spray of Pam or similar cooking spray would keep these foods from sticking and making clean up a messy problem.

This wonderful "olden days" appliance is a tool that works not only for making waffles on Sunday Morning.   

Now since having the bright idea of making squished waffled fries, I have gone looking for other ideas that might work with this amazing appliance.

How about cookies?   Check out this You-tube video for making cookies using your waffle iron?  It has the whole process start to finish!
I haven't tried these, but will be very soon!

Hey! how about fried eggs in the waffle iron?  

Now if you think of your waffle iron as a version of a Panini press (it is a bit of a stretch!) but how about a grilled cheese sandwich?  This I have tried.  Just butter the bread, put one bread slice down on the waffle iron with butter/margarine facing down, plop on your cheese - whether processed or REAL cheddar or your favourite cheese - then put on the second slice of bread, buttered side up.  Close the lid, wait 2 or three minutes and voila`!  Grilled Cheese Waffle Sandwich!

A few other things that I have thought might work on the waffle iron would be to cook weiners -- they would be almost like being done on the bbq, I think -- but I haven't actually tested that out.

I would not do burgers on the waffle iron because they have considerably more fat run off and the waffle iron does not have a 'drain' to get rid of the fat, like a "George Foreman" Grill, so best to keep away from fattier meats and things.

So just a bit different way to do your cooking on a hot summer day!

Do you have an idea or suggestion that might work or that you have tried using your waffle maker for? Leave me a comment!  I can use all the help I can get when trying to cook for a family who just prefers no green things!