Over on Cheryl Arkison's blog, she has suggest that those who wish to help out might make Slab Blocks to send to her and the blocks will be made into quilts to help those who lost many of the necessities of everyday living when their homes were flooded...
Check out her instructions at Dining Room Empire for instructions...
As Luck would have it, I was 'gifted' with a bag of scraps from another quilter. I don't know about you, but when ever I get free fabric, be it fat quarters, yardage, or 2 inch wide strips, I am inspired to sew. Just because the given scraps are almost always fabrics that I would not likely buy and it is a wonderful challenge to create with these unexpected colours and prints.
And a double challenge of making Slab Blocks as suggested by Cheryl! This system of creating pieced blocks is somewhat unusual for me, so the first couple of blocks were not really to my satisfaction, but I have managed to put together three blocks this morning!
This is my #2 try and I am quite satisfied with it. I used my own scraps for this one. The trick to these blocks, I am finding, is making sure that they are squared up properly and that the seams don't bulge or gather anywhere... If you are making some of these blocks, (and you don't have Cheryls book Sunday Morning Quilts) my advise is to square up every section that you make!
This block has larger scraps and comes from the 'gifted' fabrics...
This one too, I sure hope christmasy fabrics fit in with the 'scheme' that Cheryl plans to put together! What do you think?
I am hoping to make a few more before the end of the week and get them sent to her by next friday... I am aiming at a dozen blocks done by then! How 'bout you?
