This has turned out to be a wonderfully co-operative and creative enterprise and I know I thoroughly enjoyed the two hours my group spent working on our Iron Challenge Quilt.
Let me explain the details and rules that our groups used.
First Diana supplied sign up lists and then she arranged those who signed up into 5 or 6 "man" groups.
Each team had to follow set rules which included: making a quilt from start to finish in two hours, the quilt must have a measurement of at least 140 inches all around or what we call premie size about 30 inch x 36 inches. It must be a quilt, three layers, with binding and a label. It can be any design. Only one sewing machine, one iron and one ironing board per team.
On my team there were 6 people and Diana emailed us to let us know who was on our team about a week ahead. This week allowed time to pick our leader -- Me, actually. Then I made a plan, that included a listing of the supplies, tools, etc we would need and each of us declaring what job we might be best suited for. I also created a plan for the quilt we would do and the whole instructions step by step.
Our group included Me, Lin, Karen, Bev, Carol and Jane --and part way through we aquired a helper, that I am sorry but I did not learn her name, but she did sew on the quilt label! (names not necessarily is order, and not everyone was available for the photo)
A couple of other things to note, Our guilds charity quilts program, supplied all the fabric, batting and backing. Harriet who takes care of our 'We Care' program brought piles of donated fabrics and each team chose what they wanted to work with. Then just before each team started, every team was given a fat quarter of fabric that Had to be included -- in our quilt it was that little strippy green that we put at an angle in the corner of each rail fence block.... then we called the quilt OLD RAILS.
We had a great time!
We learned from each other and our charity quilts program had six baby quilts all finished up to donate to the next children who are in need of a quilty hug!


