It's been awhile. Quiltmaking that is. I am not quite sure why I haven't been peicing and sewing, cutting and measuring, but there have been alot of other chores getting done instead of...
Actually, now that my DH is back putting in full days of paid employment I don't have him hanging about the house with me trying to think of jobs to keep him busy! I actually did dishes today! I don't think I have done dishes in months!! Not to mention vacuuming stairs or washing floors -- well now those regular chores fall to me again. Which is a good thing!
So I put together a few blocks of "yellow brick road" -- I actually have 25 blocks but then decided that I would make two small quilts, one to give to my guilds charity quilts program, so this quilt will probably go to our childrens ward at our local hospital.
My favourite free motion quilting design is in the borders of the quilt, random lines of hearts...
Then I fell into experimentation. I talked a bit about failures in anything that we do and sometimes 'failure'is meerly a matter of opinion.
I decided to try out a quilt in Skinny Quilts & Table Runner II edited by Eleanor Levie and published by Martingale Books. An excellent technique book with table runner as the focus and an artistic bend by a variety of well known quiltmakers.
So I tried out the "RUNGS" pattern by Karla Alexander -- a stack and slash in control design. I did two versions of this pattern. One really wild, using south african batik fabrics that I got from Pippa Moore's website, an the second version more fresh and pretty. What do you think??
The African print one is now almost done, layered and quilted, is now waiting for its binding.
And the pretty one, with of course a cat (Walter) making it known that he prefers the pretty colours best is still waiting for the finishing steps -- the fabrics on this second on is all done using vintage 1960's and 50's bed sheets. I haven't decided yet myself which I prefer!