Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Dark-eyed Junco





I think this is a first....

I am not generally a bird watcher, but Walter has become facinated with the crowds of birds at our feeders -- this variety of bird is the dark eyed Junco -- it took me forever to find photos and descriptions online.   I only noticed them last winter and now this fall, too.  I guess they come here to winter and I have no idea where they go all summer.  They come along with the chickadees but do not feed at the hanging feeders, they pick up the fallen seeds from the ground, so I found a little "cactus planter bowl" and set it near our patio doors. They are quite brave little fellows as it is quite close to the window and Walter sits within about 3 ft of the bowl, except with a sheet of glass between.  

I will have to practice at my nature photography -- perhaps I will post more as I find time to sit outside and hold the camera!