Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

CAKIES

I have had a couple of requests for the "CAKIES"....

This is the recipe that i use.

1 Cake Mix -- any brand, any flavour  (see notes below)

2 eggs, large or extra large -- 3 eggs if medium.

1/3 cup vegetable oil

In a fairly large bowl, dump in cake mix, add eggs and oil.  With electric mixer mix until there is no dry mix visible.  Should be quite firm.  I happened to use Pillsbury Cake Mix, because that is the brand that was on sale (I bought 6 boxes) but any brand will do.  This recipe applies to boxed cake mixes, the "yellow' brand bagged mixes sometimes go on sale for as little as 45 cents, to use those you need to use two bags, plus I would increase the oil to 1/2 cup.

by teaspoon full,  drop onto baking sheet.    Bake for about 20 minutes at 350F  Should make about 24 cookies.

I watch the baking of the cakies when I make variations because depending on the size of the cookie, and what you add, the baking time can vary, quite a bit.  I also find that white cake mix cookies bake faster than chocolate.  White, Lemon, or other light coloured mixes can be baked in 10 minutes, also the smaller the cookie you make the quicker it will bake.   So the first few times you make these, keep a note of the baking time.  The cakies I make are relatively large (I have large men who eat them) so a 20 minute baking time is just about perfect.

VARIATIONS:

To your favourite flavour or brand cake mix add what seems natural.   Lemon cake mix, add dried fruit, maybe cranberries.   To Chocolate cake mix, add chopped walnuts, or coconut.  Use you imagination and you can create any kind of "CAKIES" that you desire.   To make Thumbprint cakies, drop the mixture on the cookie sheet, and then I use a melita coffee measure spoon, to make an indent and drop into the little indent 1/4 teaspoon of raspberry jam before baking the cookies -- again, different cake mix flavour, different jam -- apricot jam in white cakies??.   You can even add food colouring to white cake mix to give a festive touch, say green at christmas, pink at birthdays.

ENJOY!

PS  this is a great recipe to do with kids learning about baking... Have fun with the grand-kids!