Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

!

Oh! What a GOOD morning this is, isn't it?  I sure hope this day is starting out as well for you as it is for me!

Today, I am in my house ALONE!  Well actually Pearl, Archie and Walter are here, but there are no other humans!  The men of the house are off to work for the whole day!  This situation has not occured here since January 2009 -- getting close to THREE YEARS!  

My dear husband was put out of work at that time and, not being a spring chicken -- in fact he is a tough old bird, it has taken this long to find work to support us...  WHEW, financially things were getting pretty tight, but now we are on the road to recovery! 

Anyway, it was a wonderful day when he came home from an interview to say he would be working very very soon -- it is not full time work, but along with his 'sub-contract delivery job' it will mean that he will be able to support me again, in the way I was acustomed to!  HA!

I am a very frugal person, My Mom taught me many tricks to running a home and being comfortable without the extras that other folks think they cannot live without...  Baking, Cooking, Sewing and other needlecrafts, along with gardening and fixing and even some inventing...

This morning, as I said has started out wonderfully, so I decided to celebrate by making a batch of cookies for my hard-working man (and son).

It is so easy to buy a box of cookies but GEE, with a "CAKIES" as my husband calls them it is easier to make a batch (if you have a cake mix in the cupboard, and was bought on sale for 99cents) than to go to the grocery store and buy a bag or box of cookies for $3 or more...


If you GOOGLE "cake mix cookies" you will find a number of very simple recipes, usually, eggs, oil, and a cake mix; mix and bake.  Makes about 2 dozen cookies...

So, while I was making this batch of cookies, I let my mind drift back to a bit of a problem I was trying to sort out.  Birthday Cards, Anniversary Cards, Hello! cards -- you know the kind of thing? Right.  Nieces, Nephews, Cousins, Aunties and everyone else you know regularly have events that you try to congratulate them for.

I have found cards on sale and have about 20 or so saved up for those kind of events, but keeping them in the bottom of a drawer, has caused bent corners and other damage to the cards that make them look not so new....

So.

As I was mixing up the batch of Cake mix Cookies, I had an idea!





The Cake Mix Box was turned into an organizer box!   You have seen those Magazine file boxes?  Yes?  Great idea for keeping your magazines in order!  And if you don't want to buy, the office supply store Magazine boxes, a large cereal box works just as well.   Made even stronger if you use that sticky contact paper to cover it up.

I had the Birthday Card Organizer Box made in the time it took to bake one batch of cookies (12 minutes)!  YUM!


Everyone else or most everyone else is on their weekend, but not in this house, working days are according to what the boss writes on the schedule.  If this is your weekend, Enjoy!  If you are working, don't work to terribly hard and maybe you will come home to a batch of "CAKIES"!