I thought that I would start a new quilt...
Would you be interested in working along with me?
It is not a mystery, per se -- but I cannot show you the finished project, because it is going to be a medallion quilt.
Medallion quilts were fairly popular about 15 to 20 years ago. The name, Medallion basically describes the quilt quite well. If you have not come across one before a Medallion Quilt is described as a quilt made with a central block or blocks with a variety of pieced or applique borders in varying widths and design...
There were a few books out in the 1980's that described and suggested designs and how to progress with each border. One of the books is Medallion Quilts by Jinny Beyer, if you have it, it may be interesting to review it.
Medallion Quilts were also popular with groups where each member would create a centre medallion and then pass that to another member, who would add a border according to agreed upon specifications, this would usually go through 4, 5, or 6 members until everyone in the group had an border added by each of the other members. Every one of the quilts would be different, even though the 'rules' were the same for each border.
So, I am going to start a Medallion Quilt-Along. In the case of this particular quilt along, I am going to include some techniques and tips for making different parts or "rounds" of this quilt.
Now to start off, it is helpful if you choose one or two fabrics that will be consistent through each border. The consistency can be a particular print that you want to use or maybe a particular colour that is in a series of fabrics. I would suggest that you ensure a good supply of this main fabric or fabrics, at least 2 meters, and 3 would be better.
Next you can think of contrasts or even scraps that you can include that will work with your main fabric or fabrics.
Almost all Medallion quilts are square, so this one will be too. It should end up being about 60 inches square -- but don't hold me to that, cause things could change as we progress through at least 4 borders...
The central Medallion of this particular quilt will be a set of nine tradition quilt blocks and a special technique for piecing these blocks. There is also an alternative way to to piece one of the blocks.
So, this Quilt Along will be about 6 to 8 blog posts with each about 1 week apart, so the top will take about 2 months if you work along with me. Or if you prefer to wait and see and then follow the instructions when it is all done, I should have downloadable PDF files at that time.
A Mystery, well, yes, I guess so, but it has to be cause I am working on it as we go along...
Already though, I know I don't have enough of what I just told you that you needed 2 or 3 meters of -- well, my Main fabric will be multiple prints in a sort of cloudy grey blue...
Watch for the first part later this week...