It always seemed to me that the ingredients that went into making many kinds of cookies was much the same as the ingredients that went into a cake, so I thought why is there a difference in cake mixes and cookie mixes... Hmmmm???
I mean it was not an all encompassing thought, just one that occured to me now and then, but I never pursued the issue... not that it was any sort of issue...
So while I was surfing through some recipes for cookies.... There is was a recipe for Cookies made from Cake Mix!
I have been otherwise occupied the last few days so have not managed to get to trying out this VERY EASY RECIPE...
This morning after about three hours of cleaning up the sewing room (that room seems to be the place where tornados hit quite frequently!) I finally turned the oven on to preheat and pulled down the only box cake mix in my cupboard.
RED VELVET by Duncan Hines.
I happened to pick it up at Fred Meyer in Bellingham,WA sometime around Christmas and it did not get used so it is the one that is becoming CAKE MIX COOKIES...
(In Canada, Red Velvet Cake mix is not sold anywhere that I have ever seen)
So if you are in Canada you can try this out with any BOX cake mix.
It works, the cookies are easy, and quick to mix up and down right cheap, too...
oops a little blurry -- maybe thats the heat rising...
So.
CAKE MIX COOKIES
1 box cake mix, any flavour.
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 large eggs
preheat oven to 350F
mix the three ingredients together with electric mixer or really well by hand.
drop by spoonful - a heaped teaspoon works well or a small icecream scoop if you have one--onto a greased cookie sheet. Make sure to allow space between these cookies because they spread out a fair bit, they will be about 3 inches round, so only put 12 on a regular cookie sheet.
I got 33 cookies from the batch.
Bake 10 - 12 minutes.
Do not lift cookies off the cookie sheet too soon as they are quite soft, they will firm up but not get hard as they cool. Give them 3 or 4 minutes before you plate them.
Enjoy.
Other thoughts on these cookies, but that I have not tried as yet. Maybe add some walnut or raisen to a white or yellow cake mix, or a spice cake mix. Coconut might be considered too... Oh and one of the things my Mom used to add to cookies to stretch them further was a 1/2 cup or so of Rice Krispies...
You also might consider frosting the cookies, either a hard sugar frosting or just a small dollop of regular butter icing and a cherry on each cookie...
Oh, and the MR. thinks they are mighty good just as they are...