So.
Instead of sewing I have turned to my yarn stash... That too is destined for a spring cleaning and sorting, but not quite yet.
I have a book called Crochet Embellishments - in fact I had it as a Recommended Reading on my side bar for quite some time, but I never did say why I recommended it...
I opened the page to Braids, last night and picked up a few of those yarn scraps I was just telling you that needed sorting...
Aren't they pretty? Just looking at those photos they look rather intricate and a bit daunting, but then I started reading the patterns. Almost everyone is a Row 1 to start then a Row 2 repeated for as long as you want to make the braid...
And who says you have to do it in crochet cotton! I was thinking some of these would really add a special touch to the plain round (or even V-neck) of a t-shirt! Maybe a hair band? Maybe a bracelet? Maybe a bit of edging on a cloth tote bag? Ah, the ideas are endless....
And QUICK to MAKE!
These four in the photo above I put together last evening while watching tv from about 6pm to 9:30pm or there abouts -- plus I did 4 more in different colours of each different braid. The yellow/orange was actually the more difficult but only because I didn't clearly read the pattern, so it took about 10 'rows' before I got it right.
Just in case you want to try out one...
This is the light coloured one on the left of the photo -- Crocheted Rick Rack
Chain 4
Row 1: Work 3 dc in 4th ch from hook; ch 3 turn
Row 2: Work 3 dc in first dc; ch 3 turn, leaving rem dc unworked.
Repeat Row 2 for desired length, Finish off; weave in yarn ends
Try that out and let me know how you fare with the idea of embellishing your things with a decorative braid...
Oh and I should say, that the Book, Crochet Embellishments is a Leisure Arts Publication and written by Jean Leinhauser... just in case you go looking for it.
Tomorrow -- the third CHECKTHISOUT link up --- I am needing at least 20 links to continue this idea ...