Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Peace to Joy Quilt Mystery

I was going to call it Between the Seasons, but that didn't sound right, then I was going to called Between You and Me (my husbands birthday is just a week ago and mine is at Christmas)  But then I thought I would just call it what it can be used for.  From a quiet peaceful fall evening to the joy of christmas time -- my colour choice somehow turns out to be fall colours with a lot of green and red  AND  I do believe the Moda charm pack that I made it from was called Peace and Joy, though I cannot be sure of that because I bought it more than a year ago.

Anyway, this is to Announce that I will be doing another Mystery Quilt on the CANADIAN THANKSGIVING LONG WEEKEND.  That is SATURDAY OCTOBER 9, 10, and 11.

We will do a traditional style of pattern -- it came together for me through an experiment of piecing the squares that are available in a charm pack.

This Mystery will be in TWO main parts and will be suitable for any quilter, even a beginner, though a beginner should be well versed in keeping an accurate 1/4 inch seam when piecing! 

The third day Oct 11, will be just for you to finish up the details of the project, the layering, quilting and binding -- probably accomplishable between putting a turkey in the oven and serving it to the family...  as long as someone else sets the table!  Or if you get up real early, you can finish up the project and set your project ON the Table for decor while you eat!

So, if you are considering taking part in this mystery, you will need the following supplies.

Fabric:  1 charm pack -- or cut your own from your stash of fabrics, which means you need to cut at minimum 38  5" squares.  You should have a co ordinating range of fabrics and have at least 8 different fabric designs, a varying amount of light, medium and dark.  Like I said, I did use a Moda Charm Pack and the variety is pretty much exactly right for this project.

             You also need a co ordinating fabric which you will use as "stoppers" and as the binding -- sorry I did not actually measure how much as I was 'testing' the pattern -- but less than a meter, say about 1/2 meter.  And backing.  You will need to piece the backing, unless you cut it longways of your fabric, which means you will need a meter and a half in length, but then you will have half of it left over...  Maybe there is something in your stash that you want to use?  If you don't mind piecing your backing you can get away with about a 1/2 meter plus 6 inchs (about 26 inches by width of fabric)  OR if you buy a meter and a half of one fabric it should be enough for backing, binding and the stopper fabrics needed on the top...

            batting for the project -- I used a good quality poly batting and peiced it from some other left over projects, but much like the backing you will need enough to fit about 20" x 50"
Tools, etc
As with any Modern Quilt you need your sewing machine, thread, bobbins, sewing machine needles, scissors, rotary cutter, acrylic ruler (for this I like a 9 x 9 and a 6 x6) but the old trusty 6 x 24 will work.  and of course the cutting mat.  don't forget you need an iron to press seams.

So, I hope you will be happily looking forward to this project -- use it for yourself as a Autumn to Winter enhancement in your home, or make it and give it at Christmas!  Mark the Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend on your Calender!