Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Heritage Squares Quilt

About Two Years ago I started this quilt.  It was done as a group swap project, 5 of us made blocks and traded...  The number of blocks we traded actually would make a much larger quilt, queen size where this one is only just barely a double, more like a good size twin.  So after all this time I am going to be teaching a class on this quilt.  Part of the point of the class is to exchange squares of fabric so that each person taking the class will have a very good selection of squares in order to make it a really scrappy quilt.  It will also teach how to calculate those corner and side triangles for an "on point" quilt.

This is a very traditional block pattern but the pattern that my group had found was made to rather odd measurements -- using 7/8 and 3/8 cuts (Why would anyone make things difficult for themselves?)  So being certainly not a math wiz ( I failed grade 11 math, many years ago and had to take it at summer school!) but a person who prefers to make life easier, I recalculated the piecing, making the tiniest squares into 1 1/2 inch pieces and then streamlining the piecing into strip cuts -- and rewrote the pattern for myself and my group...
Each member in our group has taken their finished quilt to quilt guild meeting and gave me the credit for the repatterning work and my guild has asked me to teach it!  I am feeling pretty special to be asked to teach something to someone, and am so very excited about doing it!


Colours of my Neighbourhood

Three times  a week I am out in the early morning delivering our local newspaper.  I had a bright idea a couple of months back.   I need exercise.  I saw an ad in our local paper for carriers so I called up the paper and after some bit of talking I have taken on TWO delivery routes -- takes me about two hours to go through the whole route.  So, instead of paying a gym so that I can walk on a treadmill or use a stairclimber, the newspaper is paying me a whole 7 cents for each paper that I deliver! 

The streets are usually quiet when I am out there -- today, I was just finishing up as the Mom's and Dad's were  starting their walk with the kids over to the school.  It was rainy this morning which actually made for perfect lighting to take pictures of the features in the neighbourhood.


After I saw this picture downloaded onto my computer I thought it looked alot like the Heritage Squares Quilt, do you think?


These Chrysanthymums grace someone's front step -- only thing between the flowers and the building wall was a HUGE spider web, that I walked straight into!   Then the whole rest of the route I was wondering if the manageress of the web was crawling somewhere in my hair!


These are and have been for many many years my favourite flower, Wild Black-eyed Susans (How could one not choose as their favourite, a flower with the same name as yourself?)  or tamed they are called Gloriosa Daisy (I think)   I wish they were in my yard...


And Pearl, just cause.  Today she is at the Vet's,  She is being spayed.  Would you believe she is almost 6 months old?  Her coat as you can see is a wonderful shiny covering.  She is soft and has turned out quite handsome -- at least as pretty as those daisies!  She is sitting on our back deck watching a squirrel up in the trees in the neighbouring yard...
(PS. the vet called to say she is out of surgery and is doing fine -- we will have her home in the morning)