Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day of School and Easy Peasy Tote Bag

In my life, the first day of school, means nothing more than to remember to slow down to 30kmh in a school zone...  It is more than 10 years since I rejoiced that my sons would be heading back for school and I could do other things (mind you with a troublesome teenager with learning challenges, keeping him in class was at times a trial)  I guess this year I am noticing the back to school thing because if I don't time things right in my job, I could find myself amongst a herd of little ones on their way to or coming home from school. 

And today is RAIN --  Does that make a difference to those eager young ones?  I don't think so, today many will get a ride to school and barely notice that the streets and sidewalks are wet.


My back yard deck becomes quite treacherous, especially the wooden part, the green agae grows quite abundently by the end of our rainy season -- we have a set of rubber mats that soon will be put ontop of the wood, so if need be, a walk down to the end of the yard is safe, even in the wettest weather.

Yesterday, late, I came across a very simple recycle idea.  It took me only a few minutes to accomplish.  Making a tote - mostly for groceries (we never seem to have quite enough grocery totes) from a "no longer in use" t-shirt.

So simple.  Just lay out the t-shirt on the table, even as if you were going to fold it nicely and put in your drawer.  Fold it in half long ways, so that the sleeves match up.  Get your scissors and cut along the arm seam so that you are completely cutting off the sleeves, both together.  Next start at centre front just a bit below the neckline and cut a curve up to the shoulder.  Unfold and turn inside out, sew a seam across the bottom of the tshirt and turn it right side out again.  There, thats it, you now have a bag with two straps for carrying.  No need to trim the raw edge, t-shirt fabric rarely unravels...


even easier would be a sleeveless top, simply sew the bottom closed!  How many potential t-shirt bags do you have fermenting in the back of your closet?  Would the other kids laugh if I took one of these to school???

Oh and here is a link to a pretty detailed video of how to do a t-shirt bag...
I didn't draw lines or use bowls for templates, I just "eyed" each cut, but you can do it the LONG way if you like...