I went to this "fair" that has been coming to my town for a few years now -- admittedly the entrance price is high, at least to me, it seems high, til you think about it. The admittance charge is $10 for two days and since it is fairly close to where I live, this year I took advantage of attending both days.
Day One, Saturday, I did a bit of wandering in mid afternoon before I went to a one hour seminar that I signed up for called Serger 911. I have attended these little demo's or talks or even sometimes they teach a hands on techniqe and to be honest these classes usually leave me wanting. This class, Serger 911 though was very excellent. Now, even though I have been sewing for 30+ years, I bought my first serger just this year and have barely touched it -- fear? well a bit, cause I had wanted to sew a rolled edge and changed the tension, then not having written down the 'starting' settings, I could not find my way back to those nice even stitches. And really, What the Hell is Differential Feed?? Well, I am happy to report within a few minutes Kathy Ruddy had pretty much clearly explained what I came to the class for -- everything else was a bonus. There was alot packed into that little seminar and even though I wrote things down, MADLY, I tell you, MADLY, I know I didn't get everything. Now, since I am still a very basic serger user, the info that I got is an excellent start for me. Kathy had a booth in the Vendors Mall and so today, I went back to purchase some of the "guides" she had created to help us serger learners. Now I can sit and fiddle and try to be patient and learn about my new machine. If you are interested check out Unique Patterns-Live Guides Inc. she is based in Mukilteo, WA
Day Two - I also saw (you'd think I was a completely new sewer) a embroidery machine, that has like ten spools of yarn all going at the same time. I stood and talked to the lady demoing the machine -- it was facinating, but I knew that it was not a machine for me, though I did enjoy her talk and now I know how they put those cool logos and mottos and such on baseball caps!
So many great shops and products, far too many for me to absorb -- I did go to the show specifically to find some thread that my Janome particularly likes, for piecing and even for quilting. Aurafil threads. And I found it and bought 3 - 5000 meter spools. Two of White and one a Dark Grey, those three should last me close to a year!
It was a fun show, got to meet up with a few other quilting buddies from my area and got to catch up of their doings. This years 'show' included a Scrapbookers section and it is amazing what that ART has grown into! Years ago I had a beginning interest but with teenagers and work and other things in my life, I did not add that to my crafty stuff, now I sort of wish I had, it is facinating to see the embellishments and the artistry that goes into creating a photo album. I just looked.
The few things that I bought totalled less than $40, but I am very happy with them...
Oh and one shop, Sew Sisters Quilt Shop came all the way from Toronto, ON, (I am a fan on theirs on Facebook) I bought the panel you see in the photo above, it is about a half meter and has 8 different dolls with their changeable clothing. I am not sure what I will be doing with it, making a quilt? or maybe just keep it in my collection -- I have always been partial to paper dolls...
Oh, by the way, one of the things about going to these type of shows, I most like going alone... I know it seems that most of us go in pairs or trios, but the way I shop, I just greatly dislike following someone else around to the things that they like. So going alone, at least for me, is the most satisfying...
PS. I re read my blog and I realized that DAY ONE was actually Friday and Day TWO was Saturday -- I blame it on being a non- working person -- one day is just about the same as the next except I get to do what I want, when I want... I am thinking that, maybe it is time to find something to do to earn a few bucks... It's just a thought though -- really "I'd rather be poor than work!" Yes, I would make a great bum, hobo, lay-about, or whatever other interesting words there are for someone like me.... hahaha