Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

I Do Like Free Stuff!

When I used to write the Miss Snips Notebook column for the Canadian Quilter Magazine, I also wrote a column called Check this Out! for a few years.  I aquired quite a list of interesting and most useful web pages that I wrote about in that column.  I came across a list of free patterns while searching through some of my computer files that I had luckily saved onto a USB thingy when I realized my old computer was developing little glitches.  Anyway, I thought I would pass along those links along with a few more recent ones that fit the "category".  I checked everyone this morning to make sure they were still functional and useful so, check them yourself with confidence that you are not going to end up with error pages...

Enjoy.

Free Quilt And Craft Patterns on the Internet.


You will be amazed at the number of free patterns that you can find by surfing around the different fabric manufacturing sites…

Someday You might not even have to buy a magazine or book to find the next quilt you want to make.

So here is a list of Fabric Company sites that have dozens of free patterns -- should keep you busy all summer!

http://www.andoverfabrics.com/QuiltDesigns/QuiltDesigns.asp

http://www.avlyn.com/collections/project/

http://www.blankquilting.com/freepatterns.aspx

http://www.clover-usa.com/Make+It/Project+Sheets/
Patterns for knitting and crochet, also some tote bags and other little projects

http://www.henryglassfabrics.com/
Click on Project Library at the top of the page for quilts and check out New Patterns also at the top of the page for NEW stuff for free…

http://hollyholderman.typepad.com/teatimefloral/
Click on the patterns along the side to get the instructions for the various quilts.

http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/community/freepattern.php
This company is well known for excellent variety of patterns -- the Sew Sweet Satchel was taught as a class by Therese Schwab a few years back and I have made it dozens of times now for my friends and relatives…

http://www.eeschenck.com/default.asp?SuperStore=348&s=348
Not only quilts but Christmas stocking patterns, too.

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/Block_Reference.html
A very long list of traditional blocks -- don’t have to worry about copyright here…

http://www.unitednotions.com/un_main.nsf/free_patterns!OpenPage
Lots of great patterns here, quilts, baby stuff, toys, and totes, click on the categories at the top of the page…

http://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanorandcompany/freepattern/
We all know Quilt in a Day, here are a whole stack of blocks and quilts -- all are in PDF format so you need to have acrobat reader on your computer -- if you don’t know what it is, just click on the pattern and your computer will tell you if you do or do not have it, if not, it is free to download onto your computer, just follow the prompts as they come up on your machine…

http://www.quiltingtreasures.com/quilting/projects.php %20literally    
literally dozens of patterns, just keep scrolling down…

http://www.redroosterfabrics.com/quilt/
some really nice ones here (Bread and Butter is on my to do list) from the intro page go to Current Patterns which will take you to the (obviously) current patterns. You can go also to the Retired Patterns, which simply means that the fabrics used in these are no longer available, but the pattern is, so you have to be creative and substitute your own colour combinations… and who doesn’t do that anyway?

http://www.rjrfabrics.com/patterns/patterns_search.cfm
Wonderful, Wonderful free patterns here, even organized into interesting sections, Cosmopolitan, Fat Quarters and Charms, Designers, and Collections -- click on each to discover exactly what they are…

http://www.southseaimports.com/projects.aspx
All the patterns are in PDF format, click on the link where it says “click here to download PDF” it does say, login at the top of the page, but I did not need to when I clicked on a few of the patterns…

http://www.ttfabrics.com/patterns/index.shtml
Some really nice patterns here, but read the small print as they are only free for a year and then become copyright the designers, so if you see something you are likely to make download it now, or make note of the designers name so that you can find it sometime in the future.

http://www.northcott.net/?sid=3&layout=2col&content=patterns some really nice patterns on this site, though not all are free and they all are pretty much under copyright so remember to contact the designer for permissions to display or sell…

http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/MMF/DownLoad.cfm?Gid=1160 This is a great fabric company with a lot of designs and quilt patterns for free. Like a couple of others on this list, they download in the PDF format…

http://www.benartex.com/page/quilt-projects-85.htm
Not so many free projects, in fact I only found one, these are changed monthly, so you need to check back regularly -- it is a relatively new site so is still growing.

http://www.hoffmanfabrics.com/content/content-folder.asp?FolderID=7
 again, Lots and Lots of designs especially created for this companys product lines, click on the title to download the pattern instructions, and again, all in PDF format.

P.S.  Let me know if you have any difficulty with these links so I can correct them.