I must admit I am the kind of person who generally accepts things as they occur. A very long time ago, I considered myself to be quite political and very interested in the things that the elected people in our municipalities, provinces and country did to keep things running.
The one who really "fired me up" was Ed Shreyer. He was elected to the riding that I lived in when I was a teenager. Yes, my Dad talked about him, and was impressed by him and I am sure he voted for him. From then on, I mainly voted for the New Democratic Candidate where ever I lived, though on occasion I did vote Liberal or even Conservative or whatever the party name was that came closest to what I thought was right for the things I believed in. Yes, I was and am still pretty much a socialist, but not exclusively, as I think everyone's ideals adjust slightly with whoever is elected and how they conduct themselves during their time in office.
One of the things that I have always been fascinated by is the short memory of the people and that it seems to take a major effort to go and vote. What motivates a person to vote for or in reality more often AGAINST someone or something? Do people actually take the time to read and listen and study the consequences or previous actions either of the Party in Power or of the Elected Official. Or might it be they hear snippets of opinions and look or listen no further to base a decision on?
Strangely, the type of election that is most likely to directly affect you is the smallest election and usually the election that fewest of us vote in. The Municipal Election. I must admit to actually not even taking the time to go and vote in past elections. When I lived in Victoria, BC I never once went to vote in a Municipal Election! My excuse? Maybe it was those years were filled with raising teenagers and holding a job and at the same time going to college to learn accounting. Not too much else could fit into my life!
In more recent years I have gone to vote in local elections, though really I did not necessarily know the 'point of view' of some of the city Councillors. I was generally satisfied with those who ran our town, through the 1990's and into the 2000's, but now things have changed quite drastically.
Our council is not something that I can say I am happy with as it stands and with Municipal Elections coming this November -- the third Saturday this year -- just a bit less than 3 months away.... I am thinking that this year I am going to try to keep a bit better informed and if I cannot attend information meetings, I am going to try to find out what is and who doing what, when, where and how...
In my city, Abbotsford, BC there have been a number on ongoing problems that NEED a resolution, things that need to find a way for our government and citizens to stop chasing their tails like a young dog who is not quite sure what that fluffy thing is just out of reach....
Now, as I was taught many years ago, I do not plan to announce or advertise my position on any of the points that will soon be appearing for local people to think on and vote on come November 15, because I am not running for a position, nor I suspect will I agree with everything one person says over another...
But I am planning to PAY ATTENTION and make a decision and show up on Voting Day... I am hoping to learn much about my city and maybe about the people who are putting their names forward to attempt to win a position on our city council and hopefully who are accepting the responsibility that their decisions will be affecting many lives as they serve our city for the next 3 years...
** all photos that appear in this posting are taken by ME around ABBOTSFORD, BC during different seasons, doing different things.***