Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Embroidery

One of my "collections" is embroidery transfers or iron on embroidery designs.  These were quite common 40 and 50 years ago.  For a time there were a few companies that promoted and sold tube "paints" to use with embroidery patterns and they were very popular with young women who wanted a touch of hand made in their homes but didn't have the time to actually use thread and needle to create embroidered towels, pillow cases and monograms on special items...

So I thought I would pick out a few of these designs just as inspiration.  They probably were fairly common designs in their "hey day" but not so much now...

Here are a few that probably were meant to be embroidered on crisp white kitchen curtains or maybe special dish towels...







The nature of these transfers over time seems to be that adjacent or printing on previous pages seems to 'bleed' through the paper.  So these pictures show that 'bleed' through.   Also because they were meant to be ironed onto fabric they were printed 'backwards' so that when placed face down on fabric they would transfer in the mirror image or right way.

Oh and by the way, these are not for sale because I have no idea if they might be under copyright or even who that copyright might belong to.   I am simply posting them for 'inspiration'

I may be going through my collections and perhaps will add a few more of these designs in the next few weeks....
Check back if this sort of thing is of interest to you....