Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Always... back to Tradition...

There are some pretty interesting crochet designs available and now so many sources to find them, books, magazines, and many company sites such as Lion Brand offer a slew of FREE designs.  It is alot like quiltmaking, there is the MODERN versions and then there is the Traditional patterns.

A couple of months ago I loved making the Boteh Scarf (such a modern design!) and showed my progress of the project  here.  One of the things I like to do when I discover a pattern or a design that I like is to try it with different weights or types of yarns.  I made one Boteh Scarf out of a very nice superwash wool, another with a sock yarn, and still another with a cotton yarn -- it is not quite done yet, tho.

Recently I received a handful of skeins of 100% wool, labeled Tapestry Yarn.   Not really enough to do anything with, unless I had a Tapestry project to do, and that is not really one of my crafty areas of interest.  So those skeins - each one only 15 yards long - sat in a drawer.  


then last weekend I pulled out those skeins and wondered what they would look like if I used them to make small granny squares....


They reminded me of a granny square afghan that one of my parents friends always had on the back of her couch...  Tiny Granny Squares with black surrounding every square.   Traditional.  No need for a pattern because I have made so many of the plain ole` regular granny square that it is ingrained in my crochet knowledge.   Each of these squares are about 3 inches square -- it will take hundreds to make a lap size afghan...  But I have started and will continue it because....


in a stop off at the second hand store, I found dozens more of these little skeins of yarn!   I did pay $10 for 96 of these skeins, but I suspect that they cost much, much more when they were purchased new.   I am not sure how many Granny Squares I will be able to make from this bunch, but, a few at a time and there is no rush...   I am going to enjoy the process of creating this Granny Square Afghan and I know I will LOVE having a Wool Traditional Afghan made from them to show off on the back of my couch or draped over the arm of a chair...  This is going to be Special, I just know it!

My other project that is in progress is a sweater for ME.  From a free pattern (which I can't find now! oh oh)  It is a top down sweater that is well on its way to completion.  I am pleased with the fit and the drape of it.  I am using Loops and Threads Soft and Shiny (from Michael's) and like the feel, though it seems to be getting just a bit heavy for a sweater....  Hopefully that means it will be cozy!


About 15 more rows for length and then to start on the arms.   I will have to look through my treasure trove of buttons to find 8 or 10 buttons to suit this sweater.

Is Summer the time for Yarn deals at the 2nd hand store?  It sure seems to be worth a look lately!   Stock up for Fall and Winter projects now!  I sure have been finding useful things lately...