I for one feel that this idea of multi-tasking often means your attention is divided and you really don't do either task to the best that you are able.
But then in some cases why is it okay for someone to walk or drive while talking on a cell phone or as I saw the other day a young woman walking through a parking lot using one of those cool pens, tapping away on her ipad...
BUT its not okay to sit in a lecture and work on a small crochet piece?
Phones in movie theaters, phones while having lunch with a distracted friend, phones interrupting conversations... but crochet in a back row while an instructor talks, is called intrusive and rude...
Hmmmm....
I think it is simply that more people believe that talking and paying attention to a game or a text message on a phone is IMPORTANT and using your hands for a silent activity is not...
Anyway, I am crocheting for myself a small bag using a quite simple single crochet stitch, no counting, no variation of the basic stitch and not even turning as it is done in the 'round'...
and amazingly enough! I can not only crochet while listening to a instructor give a lecture AND answer a question or two put to me while maintaining an even rhythm of stitches I can then spend time in the morning crocheting and watching Gordon Ramsey (the chef) on TV making a pork butt roast with a orzo salad and panchetta (which I don't think I would actually make myself).
I don't think my multi-tasking is quite as disruptive, but for some MEAN reason, people who talk on the phone or answer texts think I am not giving them my attention if I crochet while talking or listening to them....
Why is that? Do you crochet in public, or do you hide in a closet in your basement to create the things you do?
And that's my little rant for this week/month/year....