My PINS seem to be quite heavy on the various crochet projects, but one of the things I find most disappointing about some of those enticing projects is that when you follow the 'links' to their origin, they turn out to be patterns that you have to pay for... I'm poor! I cannot go buying everything that strikes my fancy, not just because buying those patterns would break my bank, but I probably could never find the time to make all the items!
So the other day -- well, on Saturday, I came across this pin for Easy Crochet Slippers:
And I followed the instructions (tho there is an error on row 6, 7, and 8 -- at least the way I read it)
These slippers tho turned out quite excellent -- I even made a pretty crochet flower to adorn each slipper!
But there is a problem... I used a worsted weight yarn, actually an almost chunky yarn and they turned out to be just about large enough for perhaps a middling size child, maybe stretchable to a ladies size 4...
The pattern provides for no enlargement or different size instructions...
Okay then...
I decided to take on the challenge and have been crocheting, and uncrocheting, and counting and 'balancing' so that I can enlarge this pattern. And yes, I do believe a very similar pattern is available for a price somewhere else -- but I already told you the money story...
So.
Translating and increasing, not only length but width and re calculating the number of stitches at the toe end... A few of the rows are taking two or three or even four tries to get the count right, but it is coming along nicely...
So far....
Now, a few more rows and a few more stitches to count and perhaps a nicely fitting ladies size 7-8 and maybe even stretch to 9 should be done in a day or two...
Then the next question for me, might this be my first digital pattern to list on etsy, or should I just make the slippers and sell them in my etsy shop? How about Mother/ Daughter slippers? A pair in each size? I wonder if that would be a selling feature?
Or I could post the Pattern on Ravelry or Craftsy, either for free or for a small fee...
They are fairly different from the original pattern -- even from the very first round of stitches, so I don't think I am copying, but I have been inspired by the first pattern... Any opinions on that score?
Let me know what you think... One way or the other, I will have the instructions for "Snippy Crochet Slippers" by the end of the week!
UPDATE
I have completed the larger size slipper and have created a slightly different finished top edge for it...
Here is a comparison of the original slipper (size 4 womans) using a almost chunky worsted weight yarn and my reinvented pattern (about a size 7-8 womans size) using Red Heart Supersaver yarn - purple)
I am working on the second one of this and my numbers and written instructions seem to be making sense!
I think the purple one actually is better shaped from toe to top of foot... The picture doesn't show it that well, tho... Take my word for it!
Still working on a few minor details, and once perfected, perhaps I will start over with a larger size that might be small to medium men's size.... We'll see how ambitious I am!
