Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Old Lace and Edgings

It is so very obvious with the pace of life today why lace trim and the crafting of 'frilly things' has fallen out of favour.

When you go to work for 8 hours a day or even fewer hours it becomes much easier to buy a piece of lace if you need it for a project -- then it became easier to not bother putting lace on things. 

Used to be that lace trim, made by your own hand was the special touch that the lady of the house added to guest towels and the edge of pillow cases.  Lace that you made, either crochet or knitted was even used to pretty up the edges of shelves in cupboards or in your glass door china cabinate...

No more, or so very rare -- maybe in great-gramma's house; or maybe not...

So continuing from last weeks experiments (Hot. Lace. ) with lace, I thought I would work on this piece of lace edging that as shown in the book in the photo suggests that lace be used on one's china shelves!

 
This is quite a wide edging and is the bottom, pink trim shown in the booklet.  This particular photo and pattern is taken from a publication called Crochet Home and was printed in May 1995 -- not so long ago really...
 
I really enjoyed crocheting this piece, although it does take some time and so far I have about 10 of those flared fans done.  I am not sure where I am going to use this bit of lace -- maybe on the top shelf of my computer desk???  In the book it says that the pattern was designed by Lucille Laflamme.
 
Perhaps you would like to give this piece a try for yourself.  I am going to type out the instructions as originally written and if you test it out, please let me know how you liked doing it.
 
In the booklet it is called Pink Edging but perhaps we could find a more appropriate name for it?  Any suggestions?
 
Row 1: Chain 14, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in next 5 ch, ch 2, skip next 2 chs, dc in each of last 3 chs, turn (10dc, 1ch-2sp)
 
Row 2:  Ch 3 dc in each of next 2 dc, dc in each of next 2 chs, ch 6, skip next 6 dc, dc in last dc, turn
 
Row 3: ch 5, dc in first st, dc in next 6 chs, ch 2, skip next 2 sts, dc in each of las 3 sts, turn
 
Row 4: ch 3 dc in each of next 2 sts, dc in each of next 2 chs, ch 6, skip next 6 sts, dc in next st, (ch1, dc) 9 times in next ch5 space. sl st in bottom of st on row before last. turn.
 
Row 5: (ch 3, sc in next ch 1 sp) 9 times. ch 3 , dc in next dc, dc in next 6 chs, ch 2 skip next 2 st, dc in last 3 sts, turn.
 
Repeat rows 2 to 5 consecutively until you have reached the length of edging that you desire.
 
The pattern suggests using #10 bedspread cotton and thats what I used, with a 2.25 mm hook or the size that is similar...
 
The edging works up to about 2.5 inches wide, but I was thinking that this would be really pretty if added as a border to a crochet baby afghan...
 
Summer contrast
This little 'forest' is part of a local park -- alot of child size feets run between and beneath these lovely conifers...
 
 
The main thoroughfare in my town.  All that space, made just for the tires of cars to roll thro...
Each space has its invaluable purpose...


I know which space I prefer to be in on these especially hot sunny days...
 
How about you?
 
And PS....
This is the 400th entry on The Susan Being Snippy Blog!
Yay!  Happy 400!
 
AND
 
I am linking up with the Needle and Thread Network and they are celebrating the 100th post!
 
Not quite syzygy, but close...
(I had to look this up actually so syzygy means when the at least three planets are aligned in the same gravitational system)