Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Work in Progress - Lacey Crochet

Quite a few years ago, I was wondering what a doily would look like if you used chunky yarn and made it like a shawl...   Other people apparently have thought about the idea too, but the difference is, they actually did something with the thought!

A few months back, I found a likely crochet lace table cover and started a shawl from the instructions.  First thing I ran into a basic problem.  You can't just start in the middle with a ring, you actually need to start a dozen rows from the centre in order to make a 'collar', so that took some counting and figuring.

Well, I got past that and am finally got it worked around and a bit down the shoulders.

 
One of the things about doing these kinds of crochet lace is that you sure do need to keep track of where you are, and more so, when you are not doing it in rounds because a shawl will need a front opening so you are working in rows and surprisingly that makes a bit of a difference because you need to have found the best place to create that place to turn for each row, otherwise, it won't match up properly.
 
 
I had to make it so that the line of 'shells' were on both sides of the opening, if I had not added those extra stitches on each round, one side would have the line of shells and the other, well, I am not sure what it would have.

Now, I discovered on a treasure hunt to one of my local thrift shops, there was a whole book written in 2006 on this very subject!

I almost started jumping up and down in the store (as if I could jump up and down!) when I saw the book for ONLY ONE DOLLAR!  Little things make me happy, and this book is right now at the top of the HAPPY list!
 
I think there may be a few lacy projects on my to do list. Now the trick is to find some yarns that will work!
 
And, I could not resist posting this for some of the Canadians who live east of me -- most of the country is East of Abbotsford, actually...
 
 
 
They may be wet but look at that, the geranium is STILL BLOOMING!
I took this photo of greenery in my back yard at 11 am on December 11, 2012...   I hope I am not jinxing the weather by bragging about our mild conditions (compared to -33C in Winnipeg today)