Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday Snips - Thoughts about Christmas

Well, now we are into December and there is only 3 weeks and a bit until Christmas Day.

Ever since I was a child, Christmas was celebrated in my family with a decorated tree in the living room, a wonderfully delicious turkey dinner, gifts for the children, and visits back and forth with extended family.

My favourite part of Christmas was the day we would spend with my grandmother, my dads sister and her husband.  My parents and the other adults would sit and talk and drink those grown up drinks, and talk too much and too loud while me and my brothers would be working on a variety of colouring books, or punch out books or other things that kept us quite busy and oblivious. It was the only time where I ever ate cheese cake until I was an adult!



When I was about 5 years old I even crept down the stairs at some point in the night and actually saw Santa setting out gifts under our tree.  Just a shadow, mind you, but I was so afraid that Santa would see me, I hurried back up the stairs - to this day I can still see my own feet stepping carefully up those stairs so the steps would not creak and give away my presence.  I kept that secret for a very long time, until somewhere in my child mind I realized that what I saw, was in reality the Yogi Bear punching bag standing by the tree that turned out to be a 'gift' from Santa to my youngest brother.   But I did still hope that it was Santa and I refused to really think about what the reality was.

 
Now, 50 years later I am not expecting Santa to stop in a my house.  We are long grown up here and the childlike wonder of Christmas has been gone for a long time.   My Christmases are  memories of family - times that cannot be captured again, mainly because my family's composition just does not have the one absolute necessity of Christmas, anymore.   Young Children.  The ones with stars and wonder in their eyes,  the expectation of something, anything and the excitement of "sugar plums"!


I don't at all mind the way Christmas around me has evolved;  I don't do much decorating, and I don't buy gifts.  I don't even do very much visiting with family, because most of my family lives in other cities.   I like my quiet Christmases now, but when I re-imagine those childhood memories I do miss them and wish for the wonderment of them back again.

May you all enjoy this season in the way that best suits you and makes you happy...