Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Frustrating Crochet!

Right now, I am sort of confined to crochet because I twisted my knee and for the last few days it has not been very complient when I want to go up two flights of stairs to my sewing room.  So, my sewing machine sits lonely and unused.

I am trying to keep my knee warm and relatively immobile so I am playing couch potato with a crochet hook.

Crochet tho, can sometimes drive me totally batty!   I have big aspirations that turn into blocks of wasted time.  Hmmmph!

About a month ago I saw a crochet sweater/jacket posted on Pinterest that I thought I would like to make for myself, so I followed the links back to where the pattern originated.  It was a Red Heart pattern from the 1970's and updated for today.

Here is the link to the pattern --  http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/crochet-vintage-striped-jacket

Looks pretty good, eh?  Yeah, well, I think it must be trick photography...

Now it has been a few years since I crocheted a sweater for myself an the pattern was not particularly complicated.  The pattern called for Red Heart Supersaver yarn and I should have known better...  Supersaver means exactly what it says, cheap and lots of it...  HoHum... It does have its place though as I have used it often for granny squares and ripple or chevron afghans - once it is washed it softens up and is a nice warm blanket...   But for a sweater, there must be something more wearable because once it is crocheted into single or even half double crochet it becomes somewhat like putting on a cardboard box. 



I tried 4 times to get the neck and shoulder area to conform to my shape, it was ripple-ly and distorted.  The last attempt I got it crocheted almost to my waistline and when I tried it on it had a huge hump in the back!  Well, I spent a couple hours undoing it and rolling the yarn up into balls...

Sometimes I get stubbornly determined to do something and keep at it even when I know its not working....   So, because I had bought enough Supersaver yarn to make a sweater, I thought, I will see if i can find another crochet sweater pattern that I could make.   Again, part way and many hours of making half double crochet stitches and counting and re-counting, I have finally given up the ghost on this project!!  I just can't see me wearing either of the sweater designs, both neck down -- maybe a different yarn and a different pattern... 



In the time I have spent crocheting stitches only to again undo them, I could have made an afghan and put it into my closet for next time someone needs a wedding, birthday, housewarming gift...

I am really starting to dislike even touching this stuff.  It is not meant to be a sweater!

I must work on my other things for a few days before I pick up that burgundy supersaver yarn again!