Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Kitchen Duty


When I was young and still lived with my Mother and Father and siblings, spring not only meant spring cleaning but also some new things around the house or yard.

Very often those new things were made by Mom or Dad, depending on what it was. 

Tradition is a difficult thing to shake, even if you are not purposely trying to continue a tradition!



I started to make new kitchen curtains a few days ago.  They actually have a sewing theme because those were the largest simple embroidery patterns I had!  The white is just plain bleached muslin with the added red band and hemmed on the sides and top with a slip through for the rod.  I am planning to make some crochet red flowers to string across the top part of the window, they are in progress and will be a few days til they are done.

I was also moved to make a new plastic bag holder, simple but serves the purpose just inside the closet door.  I threw out the previous one that I had been using since about 1994!  It was incredibly grubby and worn...  The fabric for the new one tho is from a thrifted vintage sheet, that is much older than 1994, more like 1974...  I am partial to daisies and this bit of fabric suits me fine.


The bag holder is simple to do.  It is a fat quarter or there abouts (18 inches x 20 inches) sewn up the long side, then fold over pocket seams at each end,  the top one is threaded with a piece of plastic strapping (my husband gets his newspaper bundles held together with this stuff so it is real handy for me to use).  The strapping helps to hold open the top to make it easy to plop in the plastic bags that come home (when we forget our reuseable bags).

  The other end is threaded with a length of elastic pulled fairly tight, but enough so you can grab and pull through a bag from the bottom.  And a piece of red ribbon to hang the holder from a big tack...


Both these projects took a total of less than 3 hours!  Alot less time than yesterday's spring project which was taking all the stuff out of my kitchen cupboards, washing the inside of the cupboards and then putting all the things back in neatly and in some sort of order. 

So, now my kitchen has got its annual spruce up and I can nag my hubby to sand down the patches on the walls in the dining room and think about what paint and colour I am wanting...

They tell me it is Friday the 13th...  So far today everything has gone quite nicely and smoothly so I didn't notice.  Hope your Friday the 13th is free of the undesireable possibilites that this day is known for!