Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

SEW? What's goin' on?

I am finally spending HOURS in the sewing room and keeping myself busy...  Mostly creating things for my etsy shop....  I'm thinking maybe I should be having thoughts of christmas?  is it too early for working on christmas themed projects?

I made a picnic table cover.  TODAY, is the first day of SUMMER so a picnic table cover seemed to be in order -- NOW I just have to convince the family to come along to a picnic in the country...

I bought one of those Moda Charm packs -- I really shouldn't buy those... For me they prove to be too limiting.  

There are alot of ideas on the Moda website but I am far to CHEAP to buy a half dozen of the charm packs.   Something I discovered that I really don't like about these 5" squares, is the pinked edges.  For me, they make the piecing inaccurate, even if you just sew the squares together, which is what I did  for the picnic table cover.  I find that I sort of wobble in my seam line when sewing along that pinked edge, it scrunches too easily and can make as much as an 1/8 inch difference in my seams -- it is probably just the way I sew, tho.  I like that nice straight rotary cut edge that I would do when cutting my own squares from fabric. 

 I think, I shall keep away from those charm packs -- BUT I do love the colour combinations that they put together.   Like being in a candy store, or a quilt shop, RESISTANCE could be futile...


Yesterday I spent the day sewing FAST Flying Geese sections (go look for the instructions in the first part of the Medallion Quilt Along - clik on the tab).

I found another retro bedsheet that went quite nicely with two other sheets that I have in the closet, so I decided to make a set of Variable star blocks for the ETSY store

So I got 16 - 12 1/2 inch blocks completed and they are now listed in the shop.


The other day I discovered something VERY useful about creating quilt blocks for the STORE.

 Now, I am not really an unusual person, tho like the rest of you, I like to think I am different.

 I like to start new things and over the years have started many UFO's and they sit in drawers and boxes and sometimes I manage to pull them out and get them put together and finish them up.  It seems my best motivation for finishing a project is a wedding or a birth  to get a gift done quickly, I always turn to my UFO stacks! 

Now, though, I have found that making blocks and playing with fabrics and colours, I can make a project part way and then SELL it (or at least LIST it) in the store.   A fantastic way to play with fabric and not have the guilt of a stash of UFO's!

NEW THINGS...

This is one of those "I wonder" thoughts...  Has nothing to do with quilts or crochet, just a weird thing in LIFE...

Does anyone else, or in my case, does anyone else's husband INSIST on starting the newest bottle, container, box or whatever of a new thing before the previous one is quite done?   If I buy a new bottle of shampoo before the old one is done -- even if it is the same brand and fragrance -- my husband HAS to open the new one before the old is done?   If there is a open pack of baloney in the fridge, he will open a new one instead of finishing the old, even if old means he opened it yesterday!

WHY IS THAT?   The only way I seem to be able to put a stop to that sort of thing is to not buy the new replacement item until we have completely run out of the already opened product.   And this really gets me!  If we run out of peanut butter and do not have a replacement jar in the house, I have seen my hubby open a jar in the store, stick his finger in for a taste and put the jar in our cart!!  Is that OKAY even if you are buying the jar???

I THINK WE HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF....  (good thing hubby doesn't read this blog!) -- and don't YOU go telling him I am letting out his secrets!!