Well, I have been thinking about useful uses for them.
Also the other day, I told you about a channel changer "caddy" that I made for the side of my husbands easy chair. So, slightly expanding on his version, I decided to make one for my TV watching/knitting/crocheting chair.
One of the things that irritated me about the "caddy" that I had on my chair previously was that it kept slipping down and sometimes even fell off -- Now the idea is to make the over-the-arm length of the caddy long enough to fit a bit under the chair cushion so that when you sit down you are actually holding it all in place with your BUM... But my chair is motorized -- I was pretty sick awhile back and practically didn't move out of the chair for about 6 months (twice!) so the lift chair really helped when I did have to get up to go you-know-where... Anyway, because it is motorized the over-the-arm section cannot go under the cushion very far.
I also think that because it is terry cloth, if there happens to be a spill the terry cloth would absorb the spill quicker - allowing less mess to seep through to the upholstry and hopefully allowing for an easier clean up.
The terry cloth and the cotton fabric pockets make this home accessory an easy to wash and useful organizer.
I made pockets to hold the instruction sheets for things I may be knitting or crocheting and even a folded over magazine or notebook can fit in the wider pockets. Three smaller pockets hold the chair's controller, and the two remote controls for the TV/DVD, and even a few little slots for crochet hooks and pens or small scissors. Everything at my fingertips!
Now, as a last little note about this chair caddy, is that I somehow seem to be attracted to 1970's fabric and then I think about it and wonder why I picked it up -- which most often I find for a "minimal" price in one or the other of the second hand stores in town. But this Blue. It's pretty ugly, if I may say so myself.
I have another couple of meters of this stuff! I have to get it used up, it is beginning to make my eyes sore! Which is why I wonder what possessed me to use it for this project? Well, my explaination is because often on the first try, self-designed items don't work out and you (me) don't want to waste fabric that cost just barely less than a twenty dollar bill... Now I have to look at it every day, every night and every time I walk past the chair.... Perhaps after a while it will not look so ugly, or perhaps I will find a couple of hours to remake this chair caddy in something that is nicer to look at. Except that leaves the dilemna -- after being so proud of my self for finding another use for the bag of towels, it just wouldn't be proper? to discard what has already been given its second chance! I'm sure I will get used to it, I must have liked the fabric when I first saw it, or was it the $1. price tag that attracted me?
Tomorrow -- or the next day -- ANOTHER project using those towels!