Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

The Sewing Room

Aw-well...
I was going to write today all about How I became a (famous) fashion designer --- in fact I thought about it for a day and a half and pretty much had it all layed out in my mind... BUT. I went into my sewing room this morning and.... I wish you could see .... but I forgot to take a picture...
Suffice to say that the shelving unit in the closet collapsed. Three shelves, about 6 ft wide came crashing down, fabric, button boxes, shoe boxes with lace, embroidery threads, beads, a couple of baskets of odd bits of weird stuff. Fabric just does not slide off a shelf and remain in the folds that it was in on the shelf. Fat Quarters, in little neat rolls in baskets, fall WillyNilly every which way, unroll and somehow get between the folds of a 10 meter length of backing for another quilt. It was just plain luck that the plastic boxes with beads did not open on impact and create even more disorder! One small button box did have its lid pop off and of course that was the box of buttons -- all the smallest white ones...

Now, all my current stash is kept in open plastic baskets ( that I bought from a store closing and the baskets were used for soap and small toiletries displays) so, of course most of the fabric fell in jumbles and I wonder how some of the reds which were on the far right of the middle shelf, ended up between some of the blacks that were placed in the middle of the top shelf...

Anyway, the really interesting thing about this is I have no idea when this great catastrophe occured! Was it in the middle of the night, was it while I ate breakfast outside on our deck in the back yard, or maybe it happened when I took a quick run to get some cucumber, green pepper and tomato to make a Greek Salad? Hmmm? Or maybe it came down in slow motion making a special effort to create havoc in silence. This whole thing falls into the category of " when a tree falls in the forest and no one is there does it make any sound?"

I have spent about 3 -2 hour stretches repacking, resorting, and piling baskets and things on the floor -- have to wait while I can get a new or maybe stronger shelf system back into the closet. The shelves that came down have held the weight for about 3 years, so that long, you would think it would last forever -- I guess not, eh?

Mind you, now, I seem have gone off on a tangent, actually somewhat thankful of this event -- I think I am going to rearrange the whole room. Yeah! I guess I have gone a bit whacky again so I suspect that my alotted sewing time will be occupied with rearranging time.

EXCEPT, the weather channel is predicting a heat wave here -- the sewing room is the sunniest room in the house and quite often the warmest. Difficult to work in if you are lifting and sorting, so this may take longer than I want it to...

Will have to tell the story about the fashion design in a day or two -- once I wrap my head around sewing instead of organizing sewing stuff...

What I Learned Today - if you want an assistant to help pick up stuff, don't yell at him -- he might go off in a huff, put on headphones and ignore you...
But if you can believe this -- I actually enjoyed the whole day!