Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Work In Progress.... well, Actually its Finished!

The season change seems to have affected my self motivation -- slowed it down, ALOT!

Mind you, I have been THINKING of the stuff that I should do and of the things that I want to do and of the things that I have to do...

May as well start with the fun stuff...

I have been thinking of making myself a new purse, bag or tote, whatever you like to call it, but it is the thing for carrying the stuff that has to go where ever I go...

One thing about being able to sew and enjoying sewing, not just quilting is that really I can make anything with fabric, thread and scissors along with a good sewing machine and other bits.  Least of which INSTRUCTIONS always help....
Anyway, I have not carried a commercially made PURSE or Bag since I can't remember when -- well I did have a nice leather purse in the 70's, but since then...

I had bought an actual Simplicity Pattern a few years back; I think it was one of those buy one get one free or similar and I had been on a "Make the Dog a coat tangents"  so along with the dog coat pattern I picked up the PURSE pattern.   And just SO's ya know, it is Simplicity 2617 from about 2009 or thereabouts...


Not being in any big rush to complete this project, I took my time with thinking about what I wanted in a purse -- actually more thought on what I wanted the outside to look like.   I'm not one to worry about an organized interior -- a wallet and keys, and sometimes the passport -- I don't usually bother with a phone...   And I like a bit extra room in case I go to the thrift store and find some goodies that will fit in the purse...  (ha!  that sounded like I was using the purse to facilitate a five finger discount!  but no, most thrift shops always seem to be short of bags, so if I can save them a bag I try to tuck the purchase in my purse!)

So I used some of the 2 inch squares (I have hundreds cut, maybe even thousands!) and top sewed them to a bit of denim that my friend Ellen gave me awhile ago.  I expect the squares to fray as time and use progresses...

I pretty much followed the basic pattern, no fancy extras...


This is the only part of the sewing I don't like, the sewing of the front and back to the bottom/sides.  This time for both the exterior and the lining all went smooth and even with no folds on the curves and no missed bits...  When things go without problems, sewing is alot of fun!


 Now this part I do a bit different than the instructions say...  On the seam at the bottom of the lining I leave an opening on one side for about 6 or 7 inches, then I put the strap on where it attaches on the sides and with the lining and the exterior with right sides facing I sew all the way around the top edge (I had already done the inside pocket and the magnetic closure), then, trim threads and pull the bag right side out through the opening in the lining seam.  Tucked all back the way a bag is supposed to be, and pressed around the top edge, it is DONE!!



Not including making the 'patchwork' front and back the whole thing took about 3 hours, cut, measure, pin, sew, press...

Now, back to thinking on what the next project is...  I have a Oatmeal Pumpkin Pie Bars recipe that I saw in Pinterest that I am thinking will be a nice Christmas treat (make now, or tomorrow, freeze, eat on Christmas)  In case you love Pumpkin and are curious here's the link for the Bars  http://keepinitkind.com/oatmeal-pumpkin-pie-bars/

Thanks for stopping in and reading my little story!   Hope the snow is not too awfully deep where you are!!