Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Work In Progress -- Crochet in the Morning

This is the first time in a couple of months that I am purposefully writing a Work in Progress post...  I am still concentrating mostly on crochet (because the sewing machine needs a repairman and I am poor so I have to wait a bit yet -- might Santa bring a repairman?)

There is a crochet stitch pattern that I keep coming back to and have been using this stitch, which comes from the Red Heart site and is actually featured as a "Corner to Corner" Afghan (you can link to it here http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/crochet-corner-corner-throw ).   I keep finding things that I can make using this stitch.  I find the texture of it pleasing to my eye...  There is even a video on You Tube how to do this stitch.  I think I discovered it first about 15 years ago.  I think I have talked and shown previous projects done with this stitch.

Lately I have bought some nice cotton and/or cotton-bamboo yarns and with one of them which I think is now a discontinued yarn, I decided to make a skinny long scarf.

The stitch is exactly what is shown in the Red Heart Pattern except that it is only 6 "shells" wide and then I just keep following the pattern until it was 72 inches long.


The way this yarn feels against my neck is quite nice, not too soft but cozy, wrapped around a couple of times



Looking like a difficult stitch pattern but really all it is, is double crochet and chains... oh and slip stitches ...



And that is actually a finished project....

Now the Work in Progress is also crochet; and I don't even know exactly why I decided to pick this pattern and start on it.
My Friend Ingrid dropped off a "Pound of Love" Baby Yarn the other day and I was going to give it to a neighbour of mine as she (Sandy) makes up knitted toques for our local community services and the hats and scarfs are handed out to those in need.   But then she said, even tho it is a lovely yarn -- no one living on the street would choose to wear pastel turquoise... They prefer blacks and browns and dark greens and very dark blue or burgundy...   

So I thought I will just make use of it as a baby afghan...  Hmmm....  Looking on the internet  I get lost in all the available free patterns and I am not quite sure why this one caught my eye...


Maybe it was the super cute baby shown to be wearing the finished sample...


As I progressed along the 'skirt' part of this pattern, I got a bit lazy -- the pattern calls for a 3 row lacy design.   Now I do a fair amount of my crochet while I sit and watch the early morning news or in the evening when I am watching Person of Interest, or Elementary, or Blacklist or Survivor, so I prefer a more simple lacy design and decided to go with a stitch that is simply double crochet that is sort of an X stitch...  So this little jacket pattern is quite simple and quite easy to create your own little changes -- I think as long as you make sure that your count of stitches is the same as the patterns requirements...

It is really quite quick to work up too!  The neck/shoulder YOLK area I think was only about 3 hours  and now the skirt part is just whizzing along...  It should be done in a couple more days...

My last Work in Progress is just something that I have nothing to do with except to provide water...


My Avocado from a grocery store fruit is now 1 year old...  For that past 6 months or so it has been in a cut down plastic drink bottle - I didn't want to get too attached to it in the early stages!   I went out to my local thrift shop and found a nice ceramic plant pot and transplanted it... I think, it now is officially part of my indoor garden!


And also part of my little indoor plants is this little experiment.  I stuck a leaf into the soil (beside another plant that is in too big of a pot) and it has sprouted up a new little plant.   I can remember this is how my mother started new African Violets - she would pull a leaf with its stem and stick it into some 'MUD' as she called it, so she always had a few plants to give away and a few new ones of her own.   Now this one is a succulent but I guess the technique works for alot of different plants...  So I will keep an eye on this new little life (and protect it from KITTY teeth -- see those marks on the old starter leaf?  Yep, that was WALTER -- he just can't leave things alone!)


Oh, and has anyone noticed that Jamie Oliver has a new (to me, anyway) show on Food Network?  It  is called Save with Jamie and it is somewhat like Micheal Smith's Chef at Home series where he shows, economical home cooking methods and ideas.   I am so glad to see this type of instructional show back on, those competitive cooking elimination contests just seemed to be so depressing -- so many people told over and over and over how badly they do can't be good for the ego or even for the watcher, can it?   Anyway, thanks Food Network for bringing some intelligence back!  Now, how can we get Home and Garden Network to show some instructional sewing, quilting, drawing, crochet, embroidery, colour instead of people buying houses in exotic locations....






4 comments:

Margaret said...

What a great way to play with stitches...and your indoor garden is proving very pretty. It's always fun to see what turns up, eh?

Nita said...

I see why you are drawn to that crochet stitch - thanks for sharing the link to it :)

Kate said...

I have never managed to get an avocado to grow. Congratulations!

sehar hamda said...

My husband and i ended up being so peaceful Jordan managed to complete his survey using the ideas he discovered using your blog. Its not at all simplistic to just always be offering concepts that many others may have been making money from. We really know weve got the writer to appreciate for this. The entire illustrations you made, the easy web site navigation, the relationships you aid to instill - its got most wonderful, and it is making our son and our family believe that that concept is brilliant, and thats pretty mandatory. Many thanks for the whole thing!

Cccam Server