The other day a friend was looking for the name and instructions to make a 'classic' quilt block. Classic but not very well known. Over time the design and its instruction have become "little known".
One of my Quilting "things" is to collect old quilt patterns and booklets and magazines.... I have thumbed through these books over and over and over and, well, if I must say so, I knew what she was looking for, and I knew where to look for it!
Then another friend sent me an email to tell me that she really enjoyed the way I was able to share my knowledge of quilting...
So those two 'events' have inspired me to make for myself and new SUMMER CHALLENGE for 2013.
I would very much like if you could follow along!
THIS IS THE MODERN CLASSICS SUMMER CHALLENGE
I will post a unusual quilt block each week, along with a tutorial of how to put it together. Each block, I hope will introduce you to what was once before called MODERN QUILTING!
I will be starting the challenge on May 21, 2013 and the last post will be on Sept 03 2013, by my count that is 18 weeks so 18 blocks. And I have a feeling that will not be nearly enough to cover all the interesting early MODERN quilt blocks!
There will be blocks that are fairly simple with straight line sewing, there will be blocks with triangles of various sizes, there will be blocks that are appliqued and there will be blocks with curves, and there will even be blocks to embellish with embroidery stitches!
Unlike last summer's self challenge to make 10 quilts and donate each of the quilts, my challenge is to awaken an interest in some of these patterns and designs. I hope that somewhere along the weeks of the summer YOU will find a quilt block that you LOVE and will make your very own MODERN CLASSIC.
I am posting these all on my blog and I do ask that you use the designs only for yourself, if you know someone who likes the pattern, please ask them to come visit my blog to get the instructions.
None of the patterns are original designs by me, but I am doing the research and posting the information about them.
I will give you as much history on the blocks that I am able to discover.
So if you would like to follow along with this series your best bet is to sign up on my email list so that each time I update the blog you will not miss and 'episode'...
Also if you are so inclined, I would so much appreciate knowing how you are doing with each block posted and if you have a question that I did not address in a particular post, leave a comment, or use my email contact which is on my blogger profile.
I hope to set up a group flickr account so that you can post photos of the blocks that you accomplish!
Ready?