Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Recyclable/Reuseable Christmas Wrap

Since I discovered that stack of Christmas fabrics in that bottom drawer in the back closet in the corner of the attic, I have been trying to think up uses for these pretty seasonal fabrics.

One of the first things was to make the table cover I did a few days ago.  Then I was thinking that I would use the fabric to wrap Christmas gifts in.

Then the idea progressed just a step further.


 I made drawstring bags of various sizes, some specifically for bottles, some for small gifts, and some for much larger gifts.  I went to Micheal's (and the 2nd hand store) to find the cheapest satin ribbons on rolls and used the different ones as the drawstrings.  Now each gift I have so far sent or given has been wrapped in these bags.  But.  Oh my! I still have at least 20 of these drawstring bags, (did I tell you how deep that drawer was?) so I am giving the bags to friends and relatives so that they can hopefully make their christmas wrap  more sustainable. Perhaps save some pretty printed papers from the local transfer station (dump, in other words) and save dollars on one time use paper so you can buy a bigger turkey... (SAVE A TREE)!

Now, I am not saying to go out and buy fabric for this purpose, unless of course you want to.  I am saying this is a really good use for the older colours and prints and designs of previous years, that perhaps you are not so keen on making a quilt or a christmas dress with. 


These bags are so quick and easy to make up, there are tutorials on the internet of how to make a drawstring bag, in fact, here are a couple...

This one is for a lined bag (great to keep small toys in afterwards)


This is my favourite one for simplicity and speedy to make up.


And if you want to be meticulous about it, here is a tutorial to make french seams on the inside of your drawstring bags!


Christmas wrap for the next 10 years! Or even translate the idea to using drawstring bags as birthday wrap, or even as useful little storage units to keep things in...

How about the drawstring bag itself as part of the gift -- a sewing kit in a bag?  a winter emergency car kit in a bag? a camping cook tools kit in a bag? A "Hot Wheels" cars Storage Sack?  How many other things can you think of where the bag itself is part of the gift?

Blog Hop Button December Blog Hop: Christmas Crafts + Giveaway!