First I thought I would try using it anyway, in a back and forth design with a row of single crochet in each alternate row. By doing that, though, the effect of the stitch is lost.
Working in the round, was the best answer it turn out. I started out using a self striping yarn, but withing a couple of inches realized that the colour changes are the highlight of the design and not the actual crochet stitch.
So I switched to solid colour yarn. A turquoise acrylic. And a chunky grey acrylic.
One of my favourite things about this stitch is that each side looks so different from the otherside. Because of the different textures created it makes any item reversible!
With the grey, I have done a chunky cowl. It will make the winterwinds practically negligible!
And combined with a toque or slouchy hat --- well, WARM can look quite stylish, can't it?
As the ease and working this stitch progressed, so did my creativity. After a few false starts and adjustments I created a toque/slouchy hat to go along with the cowl. Both in that turquoise acrylic.
And there is more than one way to wear the cowl -- I made it extra wide and even alone it makes its own scarf and head cover combined!
(My stryofoam model got a bump on her nose, caused by Walter the rambunctious kitten)
*refer to the original post Antique Pineapple Stitch for the link to the instructions of how to make this interesting stitch.