Thursday, April 24, 2014

Kitty, Kitty, Kitty!

It seems like a natural pairing... Quilts and Cats.

Little cats and big cats, orange cats, black cats, grey cats and even blue cats!  I don't think I have ever heard of anyone who makes quilts and does not like cats!

And I certainly never heard of a cat who didn't like a quilt!

I recently acquired from quilting friend of a friend (thats pretty much how I get all my fabric now, since I am on a fabric buying diet -- but doesn't mean a friend can't give me some fabric!)  a small bundle of mostly fat quarters of CAT fabrics...

Nice.

Fun, too!



Most of these are a few years old...


Well, more like 20 years since they were on the store shelves...


But does the allure of cats ever fade?


Is there a colour or a classic cat shape missing from this selection of fabrics?


One the best things about cat fabrics is that you can enjoy cats, even if you don't really like real cats!  My gramma did not like cats, neither did one of my best friends, but they both did not mind cats portrayed on fabric!

Now, what to do with all these?


Well, thats a start!  The paper pieced cat above was also given to me, but made and in a stash for many years... now with the cat fabrics, I am making a few -- cat nap mats for a cat carrier, or maybe they are place mats for your kitchen table, or maybe if it is loved alot, it could be put in a frame and hung up on the wall.

This one - and a few more will be in my etsy shop in the next few days with part of the sale proceeds going to my local SPCA...

Oh and by the way...

Walter


is three years old tomorrow!
Happy Birthday Walter Kitty!

4 comments:

Kelly Borushynski said...

love the idea Aunt Susan. good luck I know it will be Purrfect :)

Margaret said...

Happy Birthday, Walter! Perhaps your mom will make you a kitty bed quilt.

P.S. I too have some of those fabrics! LOL!

Jo Ferguson said...

Happy Birthday Walter. You've got to love cat fabrics. It's wonderful that you're donating part of your proceeds to the SPCA. Have you ever checked out Laurel Burch's cat designs. They're whimsical and colourful.
http://laurelburch.com/

quilted fabric art said...

Happy birthday Walter! I'm sure he will be getting a few f those cat mats :-)