Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Works In Progress - Block Book 4 and a Crochet Tangent

Many years ago the words to a popular song grabbed my heart and I sing that song in my head whenever the things in my life seem to be matching the words to that song...

I've got a song, I ain't got no melody
I'ma gonna sing it to my friends
I've got a song, I ain't got no melody
I'ma gonna sing it to my friends

Will it go round in circles?
Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky?
Will it go round in circles?
Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky?

Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/billy-preston/will-it-go-round-in-circles-lyrics/#jgmD877kY7IWjBmm.99

or you can check it out on You Tube at http://youtu.be/yGQZXA54gjU

It doesn't seem to be a song that 'everybody' sings to themselves, it's certainly not You are My Sunshine, or one of those early Beatle tunes that are always popping up in one's head at the most inopportune time...

Now, what does a 44 year old song have to do with quilting and crochet, or with crafts of any kind for that matter?

Well, its the listener I think, me, the song comes upon me when I realize how motivation, interest, desire to accomplish something, replaces a period of almost depression -- little interest in a project or not being able to find a reason to create something.   "Will it go round in Circles" just always seems to me to signify the way life goes round, how sometimes you actually in a weird way enjoy the down times, but realize when it comes around again, the good times, the times you want to work and achieve and just plain do 'stuff'

I have got to say that this project of creating a Real Representational Page Turning "Book" -- even if it is only one copy and that it is just for me -- has got me on a tangent!  I do love TANGENTS - its an adventure that leads from one thing to another and each step is a learning experience and in itself is motivating to go onto the next step...  Did I say I love Tangents?  Do you know what I mean?


The 'page' this week for my Block Book again comes from Barbara Brackman's Austen Family Album  36 part block series where she tells about Jane Austen's family and the time they lived.  This weeks block is called Thrifty and represents Jane's mother -- click on the link on my side bar to get the full story along with the instructions for putting together this versatile beginner quilt block!

I also discovered that The Quilting Gallery has begun a series of Quilt Block Tutorials! Check out this new series if you are a bit impatient and want to do more than one quilt block a week...  Quilting Gallery Block Library  

I suspect I will be incorporating a few block from this series into my Block Book...

Another element to my current TANGENT is a crochet project that has expanded as it progressed.  On April 10 on this blog I talked about a scarf pattern that I decided to start work on. ( see Jumping off  a cliff...  )  It is a pattern from Interweave Crochet -- their magazine Crochet Today Spring 2007 (and they offer a kit on their website) for the Boteh Scarf by Kathy Merrick.

Well, I certainly didn't expect to get so involved in this pattern!  I started out using sock yarn to follow the pattern, relatively close to what the instructions were saying.  I used Red Heart, Heart and Sole to start...





And that's when I went off on a TANGENT...  I opened a draw in my bedroom and came across two and a half balls of Lion Brand Wool Ease and even before finishing the first scarf, started a second!   


The same pattern, but my what a difference!  It makes me want to try out this pattern at least one more time with another yarn!


I am thinking and wondering what this pattern would be like with a 'soft' acrylic.  I have some Loops and Threads (Michael's exclusive yarn) Soft and Shiny that I am thinking will feel really nice and look great!  How 'bout in burgundy?  

"I've got a song, I ain't got no melody..."

How 'bout you?  What are you excited about this week!




6 comments:

  1. What a great block and your crocheted scarves are beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should be a lovely scarf when you're done. I hope you don't need it before next November!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the scarf and had to go find it and buy it and now I want to start it. Today! LOL Thanks.
    And the song....thanks for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah! The Boteh scarf. I started playing with that pattern but had forgotten too much about crochet to finish it �� Nice job Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great scarf pattern! Nice block too...

    ReplyDelete

Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish growth without destroying the roots.