Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Two into One

When I first learned about sewing and sewing on a machine I learned to make clothes--first clothes for my dolls and then clothes for myself.  I must say that by the time I got to high school and HAD to take the Homemaking class, half the year sewing a skirt and the other half cooking -- I was way ahead on the sewing.

I continued with sewing clothes for myself and my children and even a shirt or two for my husband, but when I discovered quiltmaking, I left clothing behind...

Recently an aspect of clothing sewing caught my eye -- on Pinterest actually.   A thing they are calling Refashioning...

I decided to try my hand at it...

There is a knack to it, not as simple as you would think it might be!  Or maybe not as simple as I thought it would be...

I combined two, not particularly liked t-shirts into one, that I am hoping will be much more useful and being only ONE, take that much less space in the closet.

A black t-shirt type of top with very short cap sleeves and a neckline that dipped a little lower than I wanted and then had peek-a-boo features that definitely were WAY too peek-a-boo!   The second t shirt was just okay but was a bit too form fitting and was always riding up my belly!

So  The result is...

I slit the black shirt from the bottom side seams up through the sleeve.  From the back body of the purple t shirt I cut a elongated triangle for each side and fit the triangle from the bottom of the black t-shirt to the bit of sleeve on both sides.  Then I trimmed off the longer sleeves from the purple t shirt and simply sewed them directly onto the hem of the black t-shirt sleeves, now making them 3/4 length...


Now that too-low neckline still needed something so I settled for the already created neckline, but behind the peek-a-boo holes I just did reverse applique so that now, instead of seeing skin and the top of my bra, you see the purple fabric, cut from the belly of the purple t-shirt.


An experiment in refashioning two t-shirts that I had no real use for has now become, not something dressy, but at least something I can wear and feel comfortable in with a pair of jeans or slacks around the house and yard.  A much better result than two t-shirts hanging in the closet for 3 years...

I am going to give this idea another try.... I have a skirt that might benefit from being a straight line to an A-line -- maybe gusset inserts that sort of flare out?

Well, I think I will look again in my closet to see what doesn't get worn and maybe put together something that does.

How 'bout you? Got anything in there that has been in the closet just too long and that you are willing to sacrifice to the idea of experimentation?   Remember, sometimes you have to fail to learn, but sometimes things work well enough to again be useful!



5 comments:

Kate said...

Well done! It's always fun to see how a re-fashion turns out.

CitricSugar said...

Very cute, Susan! Nice detail work around the neckline.

Dolores said...

You really have lime green walls????
Sorry, couldn't help it, the walls really stuck out.
Nice going on the refashioning. I don't think I will attempt it anytime soon. My mom did it for me though - back in the day. A wool plaid suit (from the lady she worked for) became a Twiggy type dress with a fitted midriff and dirndl skirt. Really, nice.

Jo said...

What a great result!

elle said...

I am relating and do have some clothing makeovers on my list. You are encouraging!