Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Crochet edge for a T-shirt neckline (instructions)

So, I have been wanting to make those plain t-shirts in my closet into something a bit less plain...

I did some researching through some of the pamphlets, and books and magazines that I have, to see if I could find something to add to the neckline of one t-shirt.  A bit as practice and a test to see how it would go.

This is what I came up with...


 
I adapted this design from a Coats and Clark booklet first published in 1971.   This design is somewhat different than what is in the booklet as it leaves off some of the last rows -- so not quite so wide or quite as frilly as the original.

I have re-written the stitch instructions because they did not actually give a starting chain length or count of stitches.   Perhaps because depending upon what use you planned for the lacy edge your length might vary.

This design is based on multiples of 10 stitches plus 3.  In my case I wanted the lacy edge to be about 37 inches and I used a sport weight or baby acrylic yarn.   You can use any yarn or thread that you prefer, of course.  Finer threads make it more delicate. Heavier yarns give it a chunky or even a 'scarf' type of look.  This edging is done in only two rows after the foundation chain.



I call this a Picot Fan Edging So here is how to create this lacy edging.

Chain multiples of 10 until you reach close to the length you want (if you use yarn and not thread you can stretch the lace slightly when you are done, to fit the piece.  It does not look as nice tho if you have to ease a slightly longer section to fit.)

You will be using chain stitches, single crochet, double crochet and triple crochet stitches.

** cluster stitch **  holding back on the hook the last loop of each dc make 2 dc in the same chain stitch, yarn over and draw through all loops on hook.

Row 1 (after the foundation chain is made)

In the 4th chain from the hook make dc (beginning 3 chain and dc acts as the first cluster) chain 2, make cluster (as described above) * chain 2 skip next 5 chains, dc in next chain, chain 3, dc in same chain (makes V-stitch) chain 2, skip next 5 chains and make cluster chain 2 make second cluster in same chain space, repeat from * for the length of your lace.  Try to end with the second cluster stitch. chain 1, turn.

Row 2

sc in chain 2 space between the first two clusters * chain 3, sc in third chain from the hook, (picot made); in ch 3 space of next V-stitch, 1 tc, chain 3, sc in 3rd chain from hook (picot) repeat the 1 tc and picot stitch 4 times in the same ch 3 space ; sc in space between next 2 clusters, repeat from * to end.  fasten off.

 
I am thinking a off white would have been a better choice for this edging around this t-shirt neckline and as you can probably see I simply basted the crochet edging with regular sewing thread, so it is easy to remove and replace.
 
I am not sure how this sort of thing would hold up in the laundry either.  It might come out a tangled twisted mess after going through the regular laundry as one would do with a regular t-shirt.
 
So, is it worth the effort?  I guess it depends how often the t-shirt would be worn...   I don't know if I would want to be removing and replacing the lace everytime the shirt needs laundering.   Now that would be an argument for using a different yarn or thread.   Always something to think about, hey?

9 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Looks easy...hmmm...I might give it a try as it would make a nice trim on anything really:)

Mrs.Pickles said...

very pretty!

Linda said...

Very pretty! Wish I could crochet. Someday.

Kit Lang said...

I love picot - maybe someday I'll learn how to crochet! (*adds to list of things to learn*)

greelyrita said...

The variegated yarn works nicely in this lace, doesn't it?

M-R said...

Oooh, interesting. A bit of a lace effect, but with more body. Very cool, Susan!

Sheila said...

Your crochet edge really gives the Tee shirt a nice affect , wonder how it will stand up in the wash ,it may be just fine:-)

Magpie Quilts said...

Like! Great way to dress up a simple T.

felicity said...

Pretty!