Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Raise a Ruckus Mystery Quilt - two weeks

The last couple of weeks have been somewhat busy in my household and I feel that I have been negligent in updating Things here on my blog.  It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the days can roll past and how things you intend to do get pushed back to another day, then another day and sometimes even to another day. 

Little jobs around the house, though important sometimes get glossed over and you realize it has been a week since you thought about it.  I have one of those little water coolers in my kitchen -- we do drink alot of water so it is a useful tool, EXCEPT when we discovered that it may not be functioning as it should.  Well, at least a week ago, I realized that it never stopped it's cooling cycle.  I meant to get the instruction book out and read through -- but it actually to me FOUR days to get the booklet out! Then it took me another day before I read through and found no helpful hints to answer why it  just keeps running all the time.  Well, now my solution is to turn  the machine off every night -- the instructions don't give me any other solution.  We have only had this machine for a little bit over a year.  It is frustrating to purchase an appliance and have it turn into garbage in such a short time...  It sits in the back of my thoughts wondering what I should do about it...  No wonder there is so much stuff in our landfills!  No wonder people tend to put stuff on shelves and in basement corners -- you just hate to throw out something that really should still be working and you hope that sometime, someday a solution or a fix-it technique will appear from over the horizon and the item will again be useful...

Well, now, that idea took me off on a tangent, didn't it?  I had no intention to write about broken water coolers -- but then, of late I have been somewhat discombobulated... (now there's a word not often used anymore -- tho I heard my maternal grandmother use it often -- it means confused, or out-of-sorts!)


Now back to the Raise a Ruckus Mystery for the New Years Weekend... I have been wavering back and forth as to what my choice of colours for this quilt will be.  I thought turquoise and pink with that brown as my dark and the cream as my light and that almost fuchia pink as my bright.  Then I did promise, that the quilt I create will go to Quilts of Valour Canada , and even though there are women in the armed forces, these colours are very feminine, so pulling out colours and a variety of combinations, I finally decided that for my own quilt for this mystery, I am going to go with one colour in different shades -- a harmonious quilt, you might say...  I think a better choice that will appeal to a more wider range of people.


So my final choice of colour is a selection of BLUES  all from my stash (even though I went out and bought a couple of meters of green, thinking that would be good)!   I actually chose two lights in this case.  One will be the light to be used as the main light colour and the other as the contrast to that really dark. In the description of the colour choices for this quilt, it does mention ONE LIGHT, so I am using two, but combined they will act as the Main LIGHT...   My Bright turns out to not actually be so very bright, but is a strong standout from all those blues, so even though it is a dark, being Red it should "act" the same way that a Bright would in this particular quilt.  

I have been working on the Mathematics part of this quilt too, so that you may be able to choose whether you want to make a large single size quilt, which will measure somewhere around 75 x 90, or the lap/comforter size of about 60 x 75 -- now that is not a promise of two sizes as yet -- just a possibility...


Now, as to what has been keeping me busy when I should be thinking about fix-it chores and other mundane daily type things, here is a picture of my christmas preparations.   I don't often do much in the way of decorating for any holidays, but my Niece in Winnipeg has an infectious nature and a joyous attitude so some of her wonderful enthusiasum caught hold of me and I did make an effort to brighten a corner of my house...  That little tree did need a bit of TLC as it had not come out of the back cupboard in a few years and it was sorely lacking when it came to ornamentation...  And now, it looks like the cheery christmas tree it is meant to be, though small, so with a child's imagination, I can see it in a cosy cottage somewhere on the backlot of Santa's Workshop estate where a worker elf goes home to after his day is done and he/she is satisfied with a job well done...