Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Little Things

This past week I have been keeping busy, though at the same time being quiet mostly and reminicing.
A few weeks back I saw this toque online at http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/11/how-to_knit_mike_nesmith_of_th.html  and I had seen it on another blog too, {edited in -- Polka Dot Cottage is what actually sent me off on this toque making spree]and caused me to become somewhat envious that I didn't have one and had never before made one! 

 My version is slightly different as the pompom on top is slightly bigger but looser.  I followed the online directions -- very simple -- using Red Heart Super Saver yarn, and still have most of the skein to use somewhere else. 

 Now, I have been crocheting for many years, and I was taught the basics of knitting even more years ago than I was taught how to crochet, but, I don't think I ever before completed a knitted project!  I do believe this is my first. 

This hat was part of the past weeks reminicing -- Mike Nesmith who was one of the 4 Monkees wore this type of toque in many of the episodes of the TV show and probably in just about every publicity photo.  Mostly though, the hat he wore was a odd sort of green -- I could not find a yarn in just the right green, so I opted for this dark blue.  Now Mike Nesmith was not MY favourite in the group -- that was Mickey Dolenz...  One thing that I always wondered though was how did he manage to have his hair curl in that particular way?


My other project during the week was creating these little ribbon ornaments, crocheted with an acrylic yarn then starched.  I managed to finish up almost a dozen and may make up a few more.  I will enclose them in the christmas cards that I send out this year for those I know put up a tree and hope they like them.
These little ornaments can be found at http://www.favecraftsblog.com/meet-and-make-an-ornament-from-phyllis-serbes/  these are so very quick and easy to create and take very small bits of yarn.   Not being a particularly speedy crochet-er these take only a maximum of 20 minutes each to make.  I found that I was doing them while sitting in the car when my husband was driving about town doing deliveries.  So I was keeping track of his next stop where it was and what was getting delivered and at the same time hooking the loops to make these ribbon type ornaments...


Now, today's project is to work on sorting and cutting into strips fabric from a box I have been filling up for a year or more -- and I mean a boxfull -- the box is about 24 inches by 24 inches by 24 inches and is absolutely full of scraps from all my quilting projects. 

Enjoy, all your Christmas preparations, they are often as much fun as the big day itself...