Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Back on Line after Electronic Failure! or How to make Capelet 1743


Aw yes, the dreaded dying computer screen...
This happened on September 24 and took a week to resolve -- my computer guy saved all my documents and files and then took apart the computer, gave me the harddrive, and sent the rest of it to the recycle depot!

Cost me just under $100 to recover many of my saved documents including photos, that were not completely backed up and 9 years of Miss Snips Notebook columns that I had written for The Canadian Quilter Magazine -- tho most had been backed up on USB thingys, I wasn't sure what wasn't backed up so the guy at IFIXCOMPUTERS in Abbotsford, BC made me very happy with the save!

I did not have to buy a new computer tho, because a few years ago (I am always thinking ahead) I had a few extra bucks and at the time I bought a laptop computer that I didn't need but it was a good price -- so every now and then I would turn it on and let it do its updates, and put it back in the closet....   

So even tho my excuse is that my computer died and I couldn't update my blog, that wasn't quite true, except it has taken me a bit to get used to Windows 10, and to transfer some files from old to less old but new condition computer!

So, I have kept fairly busy lately with various projects and finding time to write has been on the bottom of my to do list...

Recent projects include a couple of scarfs made using 'given to me' yarns that are a few years old and not labeled.  They were, a fine yarn, with a very fuzzy look, not like the modern chunky yarns or the less modern eyelash type yarns, but these have proven to be very easy to work with and feel very nice when made into scarfs...

this first one is a 60" round mobius scarf that is about 8" wide -- it currently is in the mail on its way to be part of an online auction to benefit
along with a few other scarfs, mitts and leg warmers.

This scarf is the same sort of yarn, probably 20 years old, but in good condition and has a very nice cosy feel to it, it is wide at 12 inches and very long -- might as well use up all the yarn I have -- at 82 inches... wrap it around a few times!

And my most recent project.   


I am very happy with this little shawl, or capelet you might call it.   I am calling it Capelet 1743...
It is my own pattern, but I did see a similar project on the TV show Outlander and liked the looks of it, then sometime after I had seen the one on Outlander, I got one of those advert emails from Lion Brand Yarns selling patterns and yarns for the shawls seen on Outlander.   Well the one I liked was $7.49 for a ball of yarn and a emailed pattern....
I am frugal.
Can't help it.
Thought about it.
Then Michaels stores had a yarn sale.


This yarn.
I wasn't at all sure about it because it was 85% polyester, but it was only $2.49 a ball!   I bought 6 balls, way too much -- I used not quite 3 balls and a 6mm crochet hook with single crochet throughout.

Simple instructions for Capelet 1743 by Susan Being Snippy...
If you make this, I would appreciate it if you either leave a comment here, or comment or link to my post on Ravelry, where you will find a link to these instructions... Thanks.

This project is based on measurements rather than number of stitches, so you should be able to make this using any yarn and any hook you want, I can't guarrantee that it will be as drapey as using the Loops and Threads Mirage yarn with a 6mm hook tho...

Chain 32.
Single crochet in second chain from hook and then single crochet to end of chain, turn.
chain one, single crochet in base of chain, single crochet to the end of row.
Repeat until the piece measures 26 inches long.
Do not cut yarn.
Chain one.
Single crochet along the row edge so that you make one single crochet per row until you have 30 single crochet stitches.
Chain one, single crochet in base of chain, single crochet to the end of the row.  This will form a L shaped piece.
Continue to add single crochet rows at the right angle to the first long piece, for 13 inches.
Finish at an inside corner, but do not cut yarn. 
Carefully single crochet around the piece until you get to the corner before going along the 'inner' edge which will form your collar.
Turn, single crochet in single crochet in previous row, chain one,  and missing the single crochet in the previous row.   Work your way around to the opposite side, without going around the neck edge.
Make two rows in this fashion.
To form the 'collar, fold over.  and it will lay as if you had made a separate collar.
On the one I have made, I chose a large, 2 inch coat button from my stash and sewed it at the point where the 'collar' neck line joined up so that the neckline remains closed.  If you don't want to do that you can use a brooch or decorative pin to hold the collar neckline in place.
Enjoy!

Link up today with the Needle and Thread Network