Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Work in Progress -- Block Book 2

Following along with Barbara Brackman's Austen Family Album  is working well for me...  One block a week is not alot to do, and in fact yesterday (Sunday) I was wondering what the block would be for this week!  Anticipation!  It has been awhile since I actually was excited about a project and that feeling of sweet anticipation was very welcome to my psyche!

This week the block is Sister's Choice.  I totally enjoyed Barbara's write up about Cassandra Austen, Jane's older sister.  It makes one wish for such a companion in life, but alas my wish was not granted so I have to imagine what it would have been like!  But, I do have a really wonderful sister-in-law, who lives too far away that I don't get to see as often as I wish...

For me I found this block interesting in that it actually lends itself to being a 10" finished size, but to be consistent Barbara published instructions to make it a 12" block.  Yes, it is easier to make it 10 inches, because the pieces are a more common cut but I went with the 12" block which made me take care with the cutting and the sewing of the triangles and I am quite happy to say that the effort turned out exactly right.


Out of my scrap crate came some bali batiks that have been sitting around for a few years, I had a couple of other batiks, but they were unrelated colours so the three I chose are as close to coordinated as I was able to come...
This is a great block to play with colours, so many variations and colour placement!

Now, during the week, I had some thoughts about how to finish these blocks so started with of course the first one.
I have about 4 meters of unbleached cotton (muslin) on a shelf and decided that this would be a good neutral to use with all the blocks for this 'book'...

Because I suspect all the blocks themselves will be 12" finished, I will even be able to cut ahead!  So, each "page" is going to be 15" x 12", that extra 3 inches allows for a description or information strip beside each block.


So, along with the block itself, I will cut a 3.5 inch x 12.5 inch strip to sew along one side of the block, and a 15.5 inch x 12.5 inch backing piece, both from the unbleached muslin.


Then a layer of batting, to create the "Sandwich".  Now one of the other things about doing these blocks in "Book" form, I am thinking that pieces of batting does not need to be consistent with each 'page'.  I have a rubbermaid tub that is pretty much full of batting scraps, some are 80/20 Hobbs cotton, there are a variety of polyester batting and even a few bits of fusible batting.  I think one advantage to using different battings is that it will give a different look and feel to each block depending on the quilting done.


The side Panel on the face of the page allows room to write down information on the block, and because the backing is also plain muslin any further notes can be written on the back, too.   Will just have to see how that goes.

I do not as yet have a plan for attaching the pages together, there are a few options, including putting metal "ring" holes, or even regular sewn button holes and slipping a ribbon through the pages to hold them together, or to sew the "hinge" side of each block, one to the next...   Again, will see how it goes.
                        ********************************
Lately I have been trying to be nice, even when I don't have to!  To some people that comes naturally, but I have been around sarcasm and thoughtless words for a good portion of my life so it takes a concerted effort to be pleasant, sometimes...
This morning there was a knock on my door, an unexpected knock, and in today's world, there is always that suspicion that uninvited people at the door may not be such a good thing.   Well, I decided to answer the door -- which meant me coming down the stairs and first putting the dog behind me.   I opened the door to an older man, carrying pamphlets -- perhaps you know what they were?  Well, I do not have the same beliefs as he does, but I decided there was no need to tell him to go away and stay away with mean or harsh words.  I nicely said, that it would probably be best if he kept his pamphlet to share with someone who might keep it and read it and when he said to me to have a nice day, I returned the nicety by wishing him a pleasant walk around the neighbourhood and this warm and sunny spring day....

And what is more happy in spring than a dog running in the park?