Mind you, I have been THINKING of the stuff that I should do and of the things that I want to do and of the things that I have to do...
May as well start with the fun stuff...
I have been thinking of making myself a new purse, bag or tote, whatever you like to call it, but it is the thing for carrying the stuff that has to go where ever I go...
One thing about being able to sew and enjoying sewing, not just quilting is that really I can make anything with fabric, thread and scissors along with a good sewing machine and other bits. Least of which INSTRUCTIONS always help....
Anyway, I have not carried a commercially made PURSE or Bag since I can't remember when -- well I did have a nice leather purse in the 70's, but since then...
I had bought an actual Simplicity Pattern a few years back; I think it was one of those buy one get one free or similar and I had been on a "Make the Dog a coat tangents" so along with the dog coat pattern I picked up the PURSE pattern. And just SO's ya know, it is Simplicity 2617 from about 2009 or thereabouts...
Not being in any big rush to complete this project, I took my time with thinking about what I wanted in a purse -- actually more thought on what I wanted the outside to look like. I'm not one to worry about an organized interior -- a wallet and keys, and sometimes the passport -- I don't usually bother with a phone... And I like a bit extra room in case I go to the thrift store and find some goodies that will fit in the purse... (ha! that sounded like I was using the purse to facilitate a five finger discount! but no, most thrift shops always seem to be short of bags, so if I can save them a bag I try to tuck the purchase in my purse!)
So I used some of the 2 inch squares (I have hundreds cut, maybe even thousands!) and top sewed them to a bit of denim that my friend Ellen gave me awhile ago. I expect the squares to fray as time and use progresses...
I pretty much followed the basic pattern, no fancy extras...
Not including making the 'patchwork' front and back the whole thing took about 3 hours, cut, measure, pin, sew, press...
Now, back to thinking on what the next project is... I have a Oatmeal Pumpkin Pie Bars recipe that I saw in Pinterest that I am thinking will be a nice Christmas treat (make now, or tomorrow, freeze, eat on Christmas) In case you love Pumpkin and are curious here's the link for the Bars http://keepinitkind.com/oatmeal-pumpkin-pie-bars/
Thanks for stopping in and reading my little story! Hope the snow is not too awfully deep where you are!!