Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Work in Progress -- Three Things Done

This WIP report doesn't actually have anything that is inbetween.  Everything is about to start or has been finished up this week.

I am happy to report, I have contributed an article to the summer issue of Canadian Quilter Magazine! Which should be in your mail this week if you subscribe or at a few select quilt shops. It has been almost 3 years since I exercised my writing skills and it feels so good to again contribute my thoughts and hopefully pass along some ideas and information to the readers...


I'm on page 24 and 25 and so are screen prints of some of the web pages that I talk about in the article! 



Yippee for Needle and Thread Network  (where I am linking up with for WIP Wednesday)
And, just so you know this will be a short series of articles on web pages and social media sites so that you can find ways to learn more about QUILTS!  In the Autumn issue I will be explaining "how" and "what for" of a couple more social sites...  As yet, I am not quite sure of what I have to say in the Winter issue, other than it will be more on communications and connections to do with quilters, quiltmaking and quilt finding!

Now, because I am always wandering about the world using my computer.  I was exploring some SHOPPING, though not actually shopping, window shopping more like, on ETSY (where I also have a store)...  I somehow got to looking at pin cushions and all of a sudden realized, "I can do that!" 

I bought this FROG at a garage sale and had intended to sell it in my shop, but then I realized it had a tiny chip - can't sell something that is not quite right now can we?  Well, some people do, cause I bought it, now didn't I?

So, I was inspired by the Etsy vendors making pincushions from ornaments...
And, now I have one that I created myself and didn't have to wait for it to arrive as the frog has been sitting on a shelf mocking me for a month or two, in the world of limbo between the garbage and what can I do with this thing to make it useful?


cute eh?  in fact, I do believe he should be named Cute.
I wonder why people don't name their kids Cute, then when someone says "Oh he's so cute!" the Mom just says yes... hahahaha

I actually stuffed styrofoam peanuts in the bottom so that it wouldn't be too soft and have the pins sink out of sight.  Then on top of the stryrofoam I did a thick layer of scraps of quilt batting.  And on top of that  I made a square pocket and filled it with silica sand (I like the sand because it sharpens the pins and needles and does not attact moisture that would rust the needles) Finally I tucked the little pocket of sand into the frog and white glued all around.   Oh, and used a couple of really long needles that I could not remember why I had them as a extra decoration by putting a few silver beads on them and then hot glued the tops so the beads wouldn't dump off the needles every time I moved it...

I do like it and the whole project took me all of ten minutes, not including waiting for the white glue to try so I could take some photos!



And Last today, but definately not the least...
I was a random draw winner in the Bloggers Quilt Festival! 

My name was chosen from the hundreds -- I think I counted 620 comments and a sponsor who turns out to be Kate Conklin Designs has sent me a really cool prize!  My prize is 5 pdf quilt patterns, which meant I didn't have to wait for the mailman to bring me a package.  I just had to check my email an then save the files and print them out when I need them...     These are really fun patterns and I have already decided, I am going to start "playing" with this one.


This pattern is called Pine For You and I have to say, once I got reading the instructions and the technique, I was quite impressed and motivated to start on it -- alas, I must go shopping first -- it is for christmas after all...  I think i am imagining my version in batiks though, so it might take a bit to find the fabrics that I want...
Oh, the patterns come from Kate Conklin Designs and if you click on her name it will link to her web page...  She has some really great stuff!

So this has been a very full week!  Next week, I'm sure will be full of starts!  Hope you didn't loose interest reading all of that!  I am linking up to Needle and Thread Network today.