Two days ago, my friend Doris dropped into my place to show me the latest item that she had made... She was excited about it and saw it on http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scribbling-the-basic-recipe and had to try it out. (the ravelry page tho refers you to a book or magazine called Mason Dixon Knitting for the actual instructions...
You know how things are -- you inspect the item -- a scarf - and study the stitching, but there were a couple of things that I did not have in order to make a scarf like the one Doris made. But the look and feel of it fermented in my mind.... All afternoon and all night...
Finally I decided to change what I saw in the pictures on the ravelry web page to what I had on hand -- a large size crochet hook, a cotton sock yarn and one ball of 10 years ago eyelash specialty yarn...
I came out as close to what was in my imagination as anything I have ever made before!
Now, as I understand the concept with knitting you need to use a large size circular needle -- Doris used a 12mm. You knit your fine yarn or string and introduce a specialty yarn or ribbon or whatever you choose at intervals along the way.
Not a completely new concept but since I liked the feel of what Doris created I determined to make a test piece and then proceeded to make a full scarf, not knitted but crochet...
I somehow got into my head a name for this scarf -- not often do I name scarves! But this one begged to be named the Jump for Joy Scarf! It makes me happy...
Isn't it great when simplicity can make your heart sing?
Now onto the next thing... I am working on putting together a large quilt using a method I learned about yesterday at quilt guild meeting. In a few days I hope to show you the details or a bit of a tutorial of this "new to me" technique.
I am linking today to the Needle and Thread Work In Progress Wednesday -- just clik on the link on my sidebar and you will be taken to the site where you can then go on a blog tour of a dozen or so Canadian Blogs...
