Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The More You Know...

I discovered quite sometime ago that whenever I learned something new, I realized how much more I didn't know and how much more I had to learn...

Well, I sort of forgot that little "rule of learning" because I was beginning to think that I knew ALOT about quilting - and to be honest, I do have a pretty fair knowledge of quiltmaking but there is at least twice as much again that there is still to learn.

I have a couple of books -- actually more like 4 or 5 books on Quilt Blocks, the construction of, the design of, and the names of, the traditional blocks, how to recognize blocks using "grids", even a book with some japanese blocks and so much more in those books.

But.

I came across a quilt block that I had never heard of before and went looking for examples of it on the internet.  And that was quite a search, it is not a well known block at all!  In fact I am beginning to think that it is a SECRET!

So, Dear Readers, I am going to give you some hints about this quilt block and I am going to issue a challenge.  Make one of these blocks!  Or make a quilt using these blocks.

I am not posting any photos of this block but I will give a few hints about what it is and I would LOVE to see what you come up with.

First the name of this block is  Housetop

Next  think of your neighbourhood, then think what it might look like if you were in a low flying aircraft and looking down. 

And, the block is quite interpretive, there is a "design"(a detailed plan) to it but not really a "pattern" (a regular or repetitive form).

Now, create a Housetop block...

I am not promising any reward or giveaways, just the satisfaction of learning something new about quilting.

In a few days or a week or when I get around to it (now thats a promise, eh?), I will post some photos of Housetop blocks and tell you where this particular block probably orginated from.

I hope this gives you a little puzzle to work on and if you are so inclined, please send me a photo of your Housetop block and I will post it here on the blog.  

Send your photo to me at jswb4com AT yahoo DOT com

Oh, (since my sister who really, really dislikes me says I am a bully) I will BULLY you into sending me your interpretation so if NO ONE sends me a photo of their Housetop block, I may not reveal the SECRET at all and you may have to just go on wondering what the block looks like!

But Really, I would LOVE it if you would take up this little challenge!