Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tipping on Tuesday

Wow, tuesdays come around pretty quick!

Just a short one today...

Here is an idea that might be useful, I mostly use it for crochet patterns but also quite often for quilt patterns, especially if I am going to make any adjustments, either enlarging or decreasing the size.

Make photo copies of the pattern instructions.  There are a few good reasons for this.  Now, you are not making photocopies to hand out or give away, because the person who wrote the pattern is not then getting paid for their work to create the pattern.  A book, with patterns is meant for the person who bought the book and if you are making copies for others to use, that is a contravention of copywrite laws, so please don't use patterns or books that you have not a right to use.   I am not going to go into details of copywrite, cause, I don't know all the rules or laws on the issue -- I just think that what feels right probably is right.  So the photocopies you make are for your own use.

One, is changing dimensions, either of the block used or the number of blocks for the whole quilt.  You can write the changes on the photocopy pages without marking the magazine or book or even the individual purchased pattern, by writting your changes on the photocopy pages it will not confuse you if next time you plan something different or you can save your pages so that if you want or need you can reuse your own changes in the future -- this is also great for crochet or knit patterns.

If you are making a quilt from a fairly thick book, by photo copying the pages you need you will save on wear and tear of the book binding.

And since a quilt is often a multi-day/week/month project, I find that by making a photocopy of the pattern instructions, you can then keep the photocopy pages more easily attached to the project.  I know I have started a project, perhaps even to the point of cutting and partial sewing then for some reason, put the book or magazine away on the shelf--then, the trick is finding it again!  A photo copy with the cut fabrics saves on a frenzied search or even the give up of the part done pattern when you can't remember what or where the original pattern is...

The photo copy pages often prove very useful for crochet or knit patterns because you can check off the rows or sections you have done, without having to recount or try to figure where you left off -- a little check mark takes you instantly to the next row you need to do...