Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Problems and Projects


That picture doesn't look like anything. Does it?  Well, it is a major problem and a disaster just waiting to happen...  Yesterday I was rearranging a couple of shoe boxes of quilting stuff on this bookcase and realized that the bookcase and its shelves were pulling themselves apart.   In today's world the furniture out there is made of particle board or MDF, and in the stores it looks like reasonable furniture -- trouble is, the screws that hold it together just don't - hold it together...
This morning I took everything off the shelves and now have to think on a way to re -inforce all the joints, so that the thing doesn't just cave in on itself when least expected...  Glue?  "L" brackets to hold the shelves?  maybe sort of 'frame' each shelf underneath with 1 inch x 1 inch 'sticks'  How much work does this cheap piece of furniture need to make it useable?   This is where I long for my Dad's radial arm saw -- and my Dad to use it!  His radial arm saw was as much fun for him as my sewing machine is to me.  Years and years ago, he made some wonderful pieces of furniture -- a dresser and headboard for my bedroom, a wonderful sturdy useful, bookcase/room divider, he made end tables and coffee tables, parsons tables and a captains bed.  Oh, I wish he was here to make me a new bookcase...


A few weeks back I did some digging -- here is another UFO, that I forgot to claim on my UFO challenge for 2010 - I was on a kick round about 1995 or so, doing miniature foundation pieced things... This is one of them, cute -- but now what do I do with it now it is done???


And here is a little quilt, that only took about 6 hours, start to finish, the center section is one piece of fabric, with three added borders.  This is not and UFO, but was started and finished in the last couple of days and is destined for the  children's ward at our local hospital.  I aim for 5 or 6 donation quilts each year -- so for 2010, this is Number 1....

Okay, now back to thinking about those shelves...